Author Topic: John Cockroft b.1805  (Read 821 times)

Offline Scott_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Cockroft b.1805
« on: Sunday 21 April 19 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm thoroughly confused; I hope someone can help me.

I've found two separate Methodist records recording the birth of John Cockroft at Ambler Thorne, Yorkshire West Riding, in May 1805.

The first entry gives the birth date as 23 May 1805. The parents are recorded as Jesse and Tamar (National Archives record TNA/RG/4/3284-- YORKSHIRE: Ambler Thorn (North Owram): Methodist New Connexion) Births & Baptisms. The Findmypast page has a link to the image-- to my untrained eye this looks a rather strange record which skips all over the place chronologically. It doesn't give a date of baptism, unlike other entries on the page.
The link to the record is here: https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=TNA/RG4/BAP/1072510

The other entry is in the same style of ledger and in what looks to me to be the same handwriting, but which gives 22nd May 1805 (ie. not 23rd) as the birth date, and this time also gives a baptism date (13 July 1809). The same father's name is given, but this time there is no mother's name recorded. On Findmypast, the same national archives ref. is given as for the entry I've described above. Here is the link: https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=TNA/RG4/BAP/1072422

My question is-- what's happening here? Is this the same person, and if so, why was it seemingly recorded twice but with slightly different details?

(PS: It's probably not relevant to my question, but this may well not be the John Cockroft I'm actually interested in-- my ancestor gave his birthplace consistently in later census entries as Ovenden, which is close to Ambler Thorne, but isn't the same place).

Thanks,
Scott
Yorath, Cockroft, Redfern, Moore, Ives, Thiessen, Hyde, Daley, Boatswain, Hibditch, Hunt, Dodimead, Stocks

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Cockroft b.1805
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 16:23 BST (UK) »
the entry underneath the one where John is stated as born 22nd May is for Hannah daughter of Jesse & Tamar born 5th June 1809 and baptised the same day as John - 30th July 1809. As birthdays were not as important as they are today possibly the parents had forgotten the exact date after 4 years lapse.

Who was your John's wife? Does his marriage give his father's name?

Offline Scott_D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 May 19 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for your reply. My John Cockroft married Olive Hanson, who seems to have been born in the area of Triangle, near Halifax. I've found them and their children living on the north-eastern fringes of Halifax in censuses from 1841 through to 1871. They had 8 children that I know of, including my ancestor John Hanson Cockroft, who emigrated to Australia.
Yorath, Cockroft, Redfern, Moore, Ives, Thiessen, Hyde, Daley, Boatswain, Hibditch, Hunt, Dodimead, Stocks

Offline ollie_r

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 June 19 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Scott, it was normal for "members" of a non-conformist church to register the births of their children. So I think you're simply seeing first a record of the birth, and later on, the baptism, which they delayed for a few years for some reason.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 June 19 17:31 BST (UK) »
Are we by any chance looking into the ancestry of the Sir John Cockroft b. Todmorden 1897? His father was a John Arthur Cockroft,  and his father was a John Cockroft who married Olive Hanson in 1821, and was a stonemason, from Northowram?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)