Author Topic: Tom Lewis  (Read 424 times)

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tom Lewis
« on: Sunday 21 April 19 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi guys,
         I'm trying to find a death date for my great grandfather, Thomas Lewis. Tom was born on the 24Th October 1877 in Pontypridd, Glamorgan to Henry Lewis and Jane Snow. I can find Tom in the 1911 census and that's the last I see of him. I have a newspaper cutting from 1970 talking about my great grandmother( Tom's wife) Mary Hannah Davies. A former neighbour describes how kind she has been to them and how her husband Tom died during the first world war and that's it. Thomas Lewis is such a common name in Wales, anyone have any ideas to get through this 'brick wall'.
                                Regards
Parker

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Lewis
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 April 19 19:33 BST (UK) »
Where was he when last seen in 1911?  Have you looked for a military record and/or Commonwealth war grave?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline ddraigcelt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Lewis
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for your reply. He was living in 84, Rickard Street, Pontypridd in 1911 with his wife and four children. His occupation is down as colliery labourer surface. I have found a military record of sorts for a Thomas Lewis, b 1877, Pontypridd. Its a campaign medal for merchant seamen, it says its a mercantile marine ribbon issued 2nd September, 1919. But there could have been loads of Tom Lewis's born in Pontypridd in 1877, its a common name and why a merchant seaman, he's had always worked in quarries and collieries. Regards
Parker