Author Topic: Dairy owned by GG grandparents but limited info  (Read 1516 times)

Offline lcar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dairy owned by GG grandparents but limited info
« on: Sunday 21 April 19 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hey everyone

I discovered my great, great grandparents owned a dairy called Greig’s Dairy. It was based at 120 Abercromby Street, Glasgow

I think it was started by John Greig and his wife Mary (Porteous). All their children worked in the dairy. John was born John Gregg but he changed it to John Greig. He was born around 1840 in Lesmahagow. He lived at 534 Gallowgate on the 1901 census and his occupation was still ‘dairyman’

I have search and searched for info on the dairy but have come back with zilch. I would like to know more info about the dairy if possible.

Anyone have any pointers on how I can find it more? I have attached a pic of all the family outside the dairy.

Many thanks
Carnan, Greig, Porteous, Brown, Taylor, McKay, Mochrie, McLure/ McClure, Ogilvie

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Dairy owned by GG grandparents but limited info
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 April 19 23:47 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Post Office Directories in the digital gallery at the National Library of Scotland https://www.nls.uk/ ?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lcar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 April 19 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hey

Thank you very much for that link. I originally found out the location of the dairy using the post office directory but didn’t realise there were so many of them.

Found out the dairy was listed from 1878-1903 in the directory.

Thanks again
Carnan, Greig, Porteous, Brown, Taylor, McKay, Mochrie, McLure/ McClure, Ogilvie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 April 19 01:29 BST (UK) »
1885 VRs (Valuation Rolls) have John Greig as Tenant Occupier of Shop, 120 Abercromby Street & John Mair as Proprietor.

John Greig is listed in 1895 but isn't listed in 1905 when it appears listed as a Workshop.

In 1905 there's a John Greig listed as Tenant Occupier of Shop, 7 Abercromby Street

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 April 19 01:52 BST (UK) »
Who were the children of John Grieg?

If a/the shop was taken over by a son there may be info. under his name?

Robert Greig 1915 Tenant Occupier, Shop 7 Abercromby Street (where a John was in 1905)

William Greig 1915 Proprietor, Shop & Workshop, 298 - 304 Cathedral Street

Samuel Greig 1915 Inhabitant Occupier, House & Shop, 95 Great Hamilton Street

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline lcar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 April 19 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hey Annie

Thank you so much for helping me and doing some digging.

John Greig Snr had 8 children:
John (1865-)
Mary (1867-1887)
Robert (1870-
William (1872-)
Janet (1874-1895)
Thomas (1876-1894)
George (1879-)
Samuel (1882-1927)

John Greig Snr died in 1909. I wonder if he was at 7 Abercromby Street in 1905 or whether that was John Jnr? It says in the 1914-1915 valuation roll that Robert Greig who is a dairyman is at 7 Abercromby Street. I bet that is John Snr’s son. I just wonder, like you said, if Robert took over the business from his father. Robert’s home address in 1914-1915 was 534 Gallowgate which is where John Snr lived. As far as I am aware Robert never married so it would make sense for him still to be living at his parent’s house.

I’ve had a search for Samuel in 1915 in the valuation roll but I can’t see anything linking him to 95 Great Hamilton Street. Maybe I am being stupid though. Can you tell me if it states his occupation? Samuel is my great grandfather. I can find him in the 1914-1915 valuation roll under house, 25 Abercromby St. His occupation is dairyman so I think that must be him. I wonder if he still worked in the family dairy business? I know he served in WW1 and ended up drinking himself to death when he returned home.

I’ve had a search for the William Greig you mentioned. I wonder if this is John Snr’s son?

The more I discover about my family history, the more questions I have. It makes me wish I had asked my grandparent’s questions when they were still alive.

Thanks again!

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 April 19 15:52 BST (UK) »
The Scotsman newspaper dated 14 January has a report of John and Robert Greig of 7 Abercromby Street being sued for £500 after a 6 year old boy was knocked down and killed by a horse and van belonging to the defendants. The jury found for the defenders.

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 April 19 16:16 BST (UK) »
Have you considered posting the picture here?

https://www.facebook.com/lostglasgowofficial/

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 April 19 16:37 BST (UK) »
The Scotsman newspaper dated 14 January has a report of John and Robert Greig of 7 Abercromby Street being sued for £500

Sancti, have we to guess what year?  ;D

Annie