Author Topic: Charles Thomas Hilder  (Read 409 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Thomas Hilder
« on: Monday 22 April 19 07:08 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me track down the date of his sailing to Australia or arrival there, the name of the vessel(s) or his arrival in Tasmania. Would there have been a trans shipment from mainland Australia to Tasmania or a direct passage?  He was recorded on the 1851 census aged 7 as living in Gt Whelnetham, Suffolk. His mother died when he was 12, in 1856. He was in Bothwell, Tasmania by about 1865. I imagine he would have been at least 14 before setting off on his own to sail for Australia. I do not know of any relative who may have accompanied him. So that would, I imagine, make his emigration between about 1858 and about 1864.
I have his family details other than this. They are as follows:- He was born in Pakenham, Suffolk, England, July 1844, the son of Henry Hilder and his wife Lucy Mary Snape. He had 10 siblings and 2 half siblings.(2 emigrated to America and one to S Africa) Charles married Margaret Knight in Bothwell March 1865. The couple lived there and raised their family. Charles died in 1908.
Thanks for any help on this matter.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Thomas Hilder
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 April 19 07:21 BST (UK) »
https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/

If you search by Arrivals and the surname HILDER the search option allows for variations in the spelling of that surname  :)

Here is digitised image of your chap's marriage
https://stors.tas.gov.au/RGD37-1-24p1j2k

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.