Author Topic: Agnes Corrie - Gilbert Islands/Kiribati  (Read 655 times)

Offline dunscore

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes Corrie - Gilbert Islands/Kiribati
« on: Monday 22 April 19 08:59 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on Agnes Corrie who was born in what were then the Gilbert Islands (now Kiribati) approximately 1888.  Her father was Robert David Corrie and mother Taoniti (named as Rhoda on a sibling's death certificate).  Agnes' mother died in childbirth with her.  I know she was alive in the early 1960's as she wrote an article (copy of which I have) in the Pacific Islands Monthly magazine.  In the article she also named her half siblings (her father remarried and had another 6 children).  Agnes did marry a Mike Shea but he died many years earlier.  Her half siblings were named as Sarah, Ruth, James, Charlotte, May and Mita.  Two of these children perished at sea with their father and mother in 1915 (a Government document confirms this).  I would love to find descendants of any of these 6 children, confirm which two perished at sea and also when Agnes died.  Although she did attend school in Sydney, to my knowledge she never left the Gilbert Islands after her schooling.
Dunscore

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Corrie - Gilbert Islands/Kiribati
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 April 19 10:27 BST (UK) »
Do you have this article from 1969?  https://tinyurl.com/yxvedfjl

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk