Author Topic: What happened to Noah SMITH?  (Read 2569 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Noah SMITH?
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 April 19 19:15 BST (UK) »
Ancestry  (Non-conformist)  - Dursley

Esther SMITH daughter of Noah & Sarah his wife was born December 10   1829 and baptised March the 7th 1830 by Thos. GRIFFITH

Noah Son of Noah Smith and of Sarah his Wife of the parish of Cam was born January 25 1832 Baptised March 18th 1832 by Thos GRIFFITH

After a certain date the register jumps to 1850

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 April 19 19:30 BST (UK) »
There is a Noah Smith death in Sept qtr 1877 Dursley  aged 65 so born 1811/12.  Same  qtr and also Dursley has Noah Smith aged 45 - could it be father and son?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 April 19 21:20 BST (UK) »
there's a notice in a Gloucester newspaper of 1877 regarding 'Noah Smith, late of Coaley, Gloucestershire, blacksmith, deceased' and persons having any claim against him to send partuiculars to his widow. Noah Smith, the blacksmith, was married to Clarissa Workman mentioned earlier.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 01:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for confirming that the death in 1877 was the husband of Clarissa - Do you agree that he was unlikely to have been the Noah SMITH who had previously married Sarah?.  It seems possible that the Noah SMITH in Dursley Workhouse might have been Sarah's son but it does look as if Walter, Stephen & Charles HADLEY could have all been the sons of Stephen HADLEY or were they being economical with the truth when they were christened?
As Esther and Noah were christened in a Congregational Church - was there a Non-conformist Burial Ground in that area?
I'm really grateful for all your contributions.  Thank you.
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 01:53 BST (UK) »
The signatures on the two Noah SMITH marriages are original and not alike.

Debra  :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 13:56 BST (UK) »
There is this Esther in 1841 Census;
George Cornock   1811
Ann Cornock   1816   
James Cornock   1836    
Edwin Cornock   1838    
Rachel Cornock   1840    
Esther Smith   1831

All the others seem to be with Family.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 20:53 BST (UK) »
I agree with Dundee/Debra on the signatures. The Noah who married Sarah isn't the same man who married Clarissa. Think that would have been a little difficult to get away with in neighbouring parishes!
But your Noah did witness the marriage of the Enoch Smith who had witnessed his own marriage. Both marriages 1829. No obvious sign of Enoch in 1841 either.
I've had a search for the records of the church and apparently the indexing is incorrect and it should be Cam Meeting, so probably this church which does have a graveyard but that doesn't mean that there is a gravestone for any Smiths or that the burial register survives. The births & baptisms register is at the National Archives.

http://churchdb.gukutils.org.uk/GLS97.php

Offline Pat Hase

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 23:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that - so "Corn" is a bad transcription for "Cam" - it makes sense now!  I have emailed the current church to see if they know of a burial register but I think it unlikely that one exists - unless it is still in the church. 
I've been looking for Priscilla SMITH who witnessed Enoch's marriage along with Noah but with no success. 
My family connection with this is through Stephen HADLEY, the second son of Stephen and Sarah HADLEY whose widow Mary Susanna (Susan) nee WATTS married John HILL and gave birth to my grandfather Ashton Bertie HILL in 1880. Mary Susanna's mother as a Mary Ann SMITH born in Cam in 1824 (father Isaac SMITH) and although I realise that SMITH is not the easiest of names to research(!) I had wondered whether there might have been a connection.  With your help I have some more information to work on.
Surnames in Somerset - BENNETT, COLES, ELLY, GARLAND, GUPPY, HASE, KERTON, LANGTREE, MARSHALL, MILLARD, NICHOLLS, PUDDY,  ROGERS, SAUNDERS, SPERRING, STOKES, SYMMONS, TAYLOR, WHITTING, WOODBURN
Surnames in Gloucestershire - BURCHELL, HILL, LONG, WATTS, PINNOCK, RUDDER, SHORT,
Surnames in Wiltshire - DEW, JONES,