Author Topic: information on the Tithe Applotment books (records)  (Read 3203 times)

Offline yanks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
information on the Tithe Applotment books (records)
« on: Monday 22 April 19 13:54 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find information on the Tithe Applotment record books (1823 - 1837?). Does anybody know the what the codes on these records stand for / what they man ? I.E. I know it was a tax on the agricultural produce from the land they owned ? Or was it land they rented / leased ? Also, states what type of class the land was ? this tax went to the protestant church and the catholic irish didnot care for/ or want this tax.  After class, it brook down to amount of acres / Roods / purches.
here is a link to the record  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9392-9XS8-JG?i=23&wc=M6LC-GT5%3A147766501%2C147905301&cc=1804886
 It's in the townland of Tinalira in Co. Waterford. No Lot # listed on the record, and i guess Pat Wall & James Wall owned ?/ rented ? many acres and bordedred each other?  Any help would be apprciated .....Yanks   

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: information on the Tithe Applotment books (records)
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 April 19 14:53 BST (UK) »
They didn't own the land, their Landlord is Mansfield.

Offline yanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 13:37 BST (UK) »
Thank You Sinnan, Thank You for your reply. I feel foolish, How can I miss that (the landlord). Would you mind a couple of questiins ? If I'm reading this correctly, Pat Wall had over 60 aces of land ?  In the second collumn, to the right of the class, it lists 6 acres for class one, 12 acres of class two etc...am I reading this correctly ? Also, no lot numbers listed ? ( like in Griffith's Val. ).
  Thank you again for your reply.....Yanks   

Offline yanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you Hallmark for the attached link, i will have to check it out. I thought some years ago, I read this but didn't see my questions answered...Yanks

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 14:31 BST (UK) »
Thank You Sinnan, Thank You for your reply. I feel foolish, How can I miss that (the landlord). Would you mind a couple of questiins ? If I'm reading this correctly, Pat Wall had over 60 aces of land ?  In the second collumn, to the right of the class, it lists 6 acres for class one, 12 acres of class two etc...am I reading this correctly ? Also, no lot numbers listed ? ( like in Griffith's Val. ).
  Thank you again for your reply.....Yanks   
Yes I believe you are reading it correctly, Pat has 61 acres made up of 5 grades/classes of land.
The heading on how the land was valued are difficult to read but you can see them more clearly on this page
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9392-9XS8-6M?i=92&wc=M6LC-GT5%3A147766501%2C147905301&cc=1804886
even clearer on this one
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004239504/004239504_00052.pdf
I haven't a clue about them.
Pat has quite a lot of land for the period, 1831, but a lot would depend on the quality of it.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 15:06 BST (UK) »
One correction here-
this tax went to the protestant church and the catholic irish didnot care for/ or want this tax.

No such thing as 'the Protestant Church.' The Church of Ireland was the Established or State Church and had nothing to do with Presbyterians, Methodists, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline yanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 16:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, aghadowey. I didn't mean to make reference to a certain religion, I read this on the Irish Nat'l Archives :  They were compiled between 1823 and 1837 in order to determine the amount which occupiers of agricultural holdings over one acre should pay in tithes to the Church of Ireland (the main Protestant church and the church established by the State until its dis-establishment in 1871).....Thanks again for your reply / information....yanks

Offline yanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Sinann for your reply and links. Yes, I couldn't believe this Pat Wall had so many acres, but like you said (i thought too) about the quality of the land ....