Author Topic: information on the Tithe Applotment books (records)  (Read 3206 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: information on the Tithe Applotment books (records)
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 23:01 BST (UK) »

Yes it is playing up...... it worked earlier, now getting results page with no results on it.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline yanks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann, thanks for the link for the translator. I clicked on the link, and it brought me to that fasinating article by Irish genealogist John Schnelle (from Boston). It sounded so good (very interesting ) But when I clicked on the link (included in the article ) for the translator itself, it came back "not secure"....what a disappointment........Yanks

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 18:08 BST (UK) »
It's a shame it's not working, it was quite good.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 23 May 19 21:45 BST (UK) »
I would not assume that there was any link between the land classification system employed by Griffith's Valuation, which was defined, and that used for the tythe valuations, which were not centrally controlled, but performed separately in each civil parish. All I would take away is a feeling for the relative "goodness" of the land.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 23 May 19 23:34 BST (UK) »
One correction here-
this tax went to the protestant church and the catholic irish didnot care for/ or want this tax.

No such thing as 'the Protestant Church.' The Church of Ireland was the Established or State Church and had nothing to do with Presbyterians, Methodists, etc.

Not so fast!
I don't see anything wrong with what the OP stated. It is consistent with both colloquial usage and the legal position at the time in question. 
First, if we really want to be picky, there was no "Church of Ireland" at that period. The CofI existed pre-1801, and post 1871. But from 1801 to 1871 the established state church was the "United Church of England and Ireland".
More importantly, there was legally only one "church", the established church. Both legally and in colloquial usage, others were either dissenters, or papists, all of whom attended "chapels". That being so, a reference to "Protestant Church" in the 1820s or 1830s must refer to the established state church.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area