Author Topic: Lost Auchter  (Read 353 times)

Offline JasonAA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lost Auchter
« on: Tuesday 23 April 19 07:41 BST (UK) »
     Hello to anyone who may read this. I have been searching far and near for answers to my family lineage... I want to help my father connect the dots and also for myself...

Our last name is Auchter.

The most we know is the last place before America the Auchter family had lived was in Wiesbaden Germany. But we did not come from here.

Scotland was the original home. My father said all he knew and his father knew was whoever lived in scotland had left between 1604-1670 and crossed over into France for about a year and then went into Germany.

No Auchter’s exist in scotland from what I have come up with. So me and my dad think the name was chopped down or who knows only to fit into Germany.

The family also claims to be related to Robert the Bruce and Mary Stuart queen of scots.
I have no idea how that is to be or perhaps a bedtime story but this is pretty much all the info I have and not many answers to go on...

Any help is appreciated.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Auchter
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 10:45 BST (UK) »
No Birth or Marriages on Scotland's People but 3 deaths?

AUCHTER   DAVID   -----   18/05/1763   Ceres, Fife
AUCHTER   ISABEL   MELVILL / ROBERT AUCHTER   12/08/1767   Ceres, Fife
AUCHTER   SARA   WATSON / JAS WATSON   28/03/1766   Ceres, Fife

However several possible derivations of the name such as AUCHTERLOANY, AUCHTERLONE, AUCHTERLONEY, etc. Plenty of them in Scotland.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline JasonAA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 12:39 BST (UK) »
I could look at those names and see where they go... Thanks.

That’s the thing, either records were lost, destroyed, or something else all together.

The ancestors from Germany as my dad would put it wouldn’t talk much or say anything about it, only blunt in saying just scotland etc etc.

Makes me wonder if they were hiding something or their real name for who knows what reasons. Hard to tell in times like that back then what they would be going through or leaving for.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 April 19 09:58 BST (UK) »
"Auchter" - high ground, from the Gaelic "air uachdair" which means "on top of".
http://www.rampantscotland.com/parliamo/blparliamo_places.htm

The surname itself is Gaelic language

Perhaps the Auchter men went over as soldiers as the pay was better than remaining in Scotland

https://flemish.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2015/11/13/migration-from-scotland-before-1700/
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)