Author Topic: Margaret Jane Rees - born in Portmadoc  (Read 944 times)

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret Jane Rees - born in Portmadoc
« on: Tuesday 23 April 19 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The above is of my brick walls and until today the last I could see of her was as a servant in 1901 to a Jones family in Criccieth.

She was born in 1863 to Thomas Rees and Dorothy (nee Owen) and she is easily found in the 1871/81/91 censuses in the local areas - after then I could not find her until I have stumbled across a death in Mar Qtr 1938 but there are 2 entries on Free BMD- one as Margaret Jane Rees (age 74) Ref - 11b/494 Caernarvon and also Margaret Jane Pritchard with the same reference details. This duplication is repeated on North Wales BMD in the Llandwrog district.

I assume she never actually "married" but wondered why the death would be registered twice. I find this rather strange but wondered if anyone has any experience of this situation occurring?   

Alan

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Jane Rees - born in Portmadoc
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 10:34 BST (UK) »
Although the 1911 census states Margaret is married to David Pritchard and is listed as his
Gwraig  (Wife). The way the census is filled in it looks likely they were not married.
Maybe the registrar required the duplicate in the absence of a marriage certificate?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 10:42 BST (UK) »
HI Colin,

Thanks - that was my thoughts but I find it rather strange.

Alan

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
1911 Census shows a Margaret Jane Pritchard at Congregational Chapel House, Pantglas, aged 48, with her husband David Pritchard. The number of full years they've been married is shown against David: dau(2). That's been crossed out and:  un(1) written against Margaret 48, b. Portmadoc. I can't see anything to suggest that they weren't married, but I can't find a marriage to fit.
The death of Margaret Jane Pritchard is not recorded on the database on the official GRO website. That of Margaret Jane Rees is, with reference you quote. There is a Margaret Jane Pritchard in the 1939 Census, living at 7 Marcus Street, Caernarfon, widow, dob  09 April 1864.
Emyr

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Emyr,

Thanks for your input here - I remember from meeting up with you a couple of years ago that you helped me with part of this family (Owen) and took me around various cemeteries in Porthmadog to find numerous family graves. Margaret's mother was Dorothy Owen who married Thomas Rees in 1860.

Since we met Margaret remained one of the remaining brick walls.

Strangely the images on Ancestry shows both surnames (Pritchard on Page 199 and Rees on Page 214). I don't believe the Caernarvon widow is her, as Margaret's birth was registered July 1863 (Ffestiniog - 11b/424).

Allied to the fact that the census you refer to shows her correct place of birth as Porthmadog, I feel that Margaret Jane Rees and Margaret Jane Pritchard are one and the same person.

If I could find a grave for her it would perhaps solve the dilemma but in the meantime, I wondered if there might be any trace of her in the burials booklets you have in the Porthmadog Area?

Alan