Author Topic: Coat of Arms  (Read 979 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Coat of Arms
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 14:57 BST (UK) »
It's only just struck me that if it says that in English, it's possibly a souvenir or intended for export.
Carol

That crossed my mind, too.  :)
However, "Made in..." is pretty standard for a lot of languages/origins, whether the items are intended for export or not.

We have lots of things here with "Made in Germany" on them. Having said that, most of them might well be exported as well as sold here.
Some things have "Hergestellt in Deutschland" somewhere on the packaging, but "Made in Germany" in bigger letters, often on the front. It's a selling point.  ;D

It's got me wondering. I'm off out shopping now. I'm going to bear this thread in mind while I'm looking at things..!  :D
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 April 19 14:01 BST (UK) »
Grüß Gott,
In the Late 19th Century The UK forced Germany to mark all its goods with „ Made in Germany“ as it wanted to warn its citizens of the inferior quality of German goods. It backfired badly as very soon „Made in Germany“ was considered better quality.

Gott mit Dir, du Land der Bayern, Heimaterde, Vaterland - that’s the Bayernhymne. Many (many, many) years ago when I turned 21 I received a Bavarian state citizen certificate. I am very proud to have it, because they are not issued anymore.

Regards Peonie

Offline Paradigmshift

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 April 19 13:16 BST (UK) »
Great inputs, interesting conversation.
For some reason I haven't been getting emails to show there have been replies to my thread so I've only just seen the question regarding size. (Notify me is ticked)
It certainly wouldn't be very comfy for the wearer if it was on their belt.
It looks like it would have been on a wall to me.
BTW, it was something that came in a mixed box of items that I bought at an auction house.
I sometimes sell stuff on ebay but when something looks interesting I like to find out a bit of history.
This I may just hang on my own wall and use it as it was intended.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 April 19 14:16 BST (UK) »
You're right - the wooden back would not be comfy!  ;D

Found this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/alter-Schlusselkasten-Holz-Kunstleder-Wappen-H-B22x18cm-gebraucht-S11-6/264288387554?hash=item3d88d0c1e2:g:mD4AAOSwsGpb8-iZ

Not quite the same, but in the right direction...

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd