Author Topic: WINDOWS 7 and WINDOWS 10  (Read 2921 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: WINDOWS 7 and WINDOWS 10
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 27 April 19 09:23 BST (UK) »

"your existing one is unlikely to have any features not handled in a standard GEDCOM file."     

Except media, of course.     
GEDCOM by definition contains no media.     

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 April 19 23:31 BST (UK) »
There are very few programs which worked on Win7 and won't on Win10. It was back in Vista when they reorganised the directory structure and default file locations. There have been tweaks to the security model since, but they can be worked around.

Old, 16-bit, programs from before Windows XP (released 2001) will not run under any 64-bit Windows (which is the norm these days), but they should run under 32-bit Win10. The Win10 licence allows for either 64-bit or 32-bit version on a PC. The 32-bit version can only access 3GB or 3.5GB of memory, though, depending on the hardware, so it would not be worth spending on more than 4GB of you are only ever going to run 32-bit.

I have a couple of ancient machines which run fine under 32-bit Win10 release 1809 (the latest).

What are you currently using for your FH program?
Helps the case for installing a virtual machine.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 May 19 17:31 BST (UK) »
    I am on Windows 7 at the moment.       I want to continue using my Ancestry tree, which has about 1,100 people on it at the moment.        Does anyone foresee any problems in buying a new computer, and then getting the guy in my "Wisetech" local computer shop to transfer EVERYTHING from my old computer to the new computer while updating me to Windows 10 at the same time. 

The guy previously transfered everything from an old computer of mine to my present computer, so I feel he should be able to do it again.       

Offline Tasman1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 13 May 19 13:33 BST (UK) »
Have been through them all - and have had those teeting problems. Most serious, is that if you do not update, you will be increasingly liable to malware attacks - and if bad enough- you will not have any Gedcom files to worry about. Windows 7 was the most user friendly, W8 was a pain.........
W10, with a bit of tweaking, looks and behaves as W7. Have not had any problem with Ancestry.
Main gripe has been W10 updates have removed downloaded programmes and deleted the links in my icons along the bottom of the screen i.e. quick access to Rootschat, Ancestry etc. Getting long in the tooth, but will still go along with the latest. Take it as an exercise to prevent dementia!!!???
Aitkenhead, Purdon, Buick, Fairweather, Todd, Moresby.