Author Topic: Absent Voters list gives name - Regiment and number ?  (Read 128 times)

Offline pittstreet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Absent Voters list gives name - Regiment and number ?
« on: Wednesday 24 April 19 11:29 BST (UK) »
Dear List - My Grandfather William Carr  Is shown on the 1919 Absent voters list for Preston Lancashire - His Regiment is given as the Labour Corps and his number is shown as 154629 .
I have studied both Ancestry and Find my past and other on line sources with no success .

William was born Blackburn Lancashire approx. 1879 and Married Margaret Booth of Preston and was living in Preston at time of WW1  - Try as I may - I can not seem to find any details of him on the excellent military sites  on such subjects - Could I have typos on my absent voters list  ? or whatever -
all advice appreciated - Regards --- John

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Absent Voters list gives name - Regiment and number ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 12:33 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

If it is his service records you are looking for around 70% of them were destroyed during WW2

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline pittstreet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 13:05 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Rosie for your quick reply - I just cannot seem to find anything - Anything about him at all ?
Thanks again  --- John

Online MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 14:49 BST (UK) »
There is no medal record for him.  The absence of a service record is as Rosie has explained.  The absence of a medal record indicates no overseas service.  There were many Labour Corps units employed in UK only.  His number is from the block allocated to No 5 Labour Battalion but that cannot be definitive as spare numbers were issued outside battalion blocks.

The "no service record" and "no medal record" is an extremely common finding unfortunately.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia