Author Topic: Absent Voters list gives name - Regiment and number ?  (Read 466 times)

Offline pittstreet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Absent Voters list gives name - Regiment and number ?
« on: Wednesday 24 April 19 11:29 BST (UK) »
Dear List - My Grandfather William Carr  Is shown on the 1919 Absent voters list for Preston Lancashire - His Regiment is given as the Labour Corps and his number is shown as 154629 .
I have studied both Ancestry and Find my past and other on line sources with no success .

William was born Blackburn Lancashire approx. 1879 and Married Margaret Booth of Preston and was living in Preston at time of WW1  - Try as I may - I can not seem to find any details of him on the excellent military sites  on such subjects - Could I have typos on my absent voters list  ? or whatever -
all advice appreciated - Regards --- John

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Absent Voters list gives name - Regiment and number ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 12:33 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

If it is his service records you are looking for around 70% of them were destroyed during WW2

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pittstreet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 13:05 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Rosie for your quick reply - I just cannot seem to find anything - Anything about him at all ?
Thanks again  --- John

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 14:49 BST (UK) »
There is no medal record for him.  The absence of a service record is as Rosie has explained.  The absence of a medal record indicates no overseas service.  There were many Labour Corps units employed in UK only.  His number is from the block allocated to No 5 Labour Battalion but that cannot be definitive as spare numbers were issued outside battalion blocks.

The "no service record" and "no medal record" is an extremely common finding unfortunately.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia