Author Topic: Kirkcaldy street name  (Read 3560 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkcaldy street name
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 25 April 19 22:26 BST (UK) »
Having seen the map, and noted that there were only two cottages at Muttonhall Cottages, I take back my agreement that they are likely to have been the same as Mutton Row. I think a 'Row' would have to consist of more than just two cottages.

I tend to agree Forfarian - you would expect a “Row” to contain more than two dwellings. 

It might be worth using a couple of credits to download the 1871 census on Scotlands People to see if “Matterhall colling” = Muttonhall Cottages. If it does, it seems a coincidence that they would be living at two different places called “Mutton” something at different times.  :-\

It depends how determined you are to find the exact location Peter - just walking the streets they walked might be enough, and as they will be much changed, you are going to have to use your imagination anyway.  :)

Have a wonderful trip. I imagine it will be especially exciting for your NZ cousin.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 May 19 04:32 BST (UK) »
I only have sight of part of the marriage certificate which has been sent to me from a relative in New Zealand.
I can now confirm the marriage took place on the 7th Jan 1861 in Dysart.

It would be an idea to ask for the full cert. as a 'part' is not of much use or for a few credits on scotlandspeople.gov.uk it would be worth knowing what the exact address is on the marriage which will also give you witnesses names which may turn out to be a big bonus?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 May 19 05:57 BST (UK) »
I still have some work to do on this but I have come to the same conclusion as you.
I just need to confirm it.
I will be visiting Dysart in June and plan to walk the area. Perhaps from the ground things may be a little clearer.

Muttonhall Cottages on the links shown are on the outskirts of Kirkcaldy i.e. should be easy to locate;

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nr6/

Who were the parents of Richard?

In 1855 pre Richard's wedding & between census' in the VRs (Valuation Rolls) there's Robert, Willam & David all in Coal Wynd (separate houses) just a few mins drive from Muttonhall (as well as another 2 in 2 other areas);

WATTERS ROBERT Occupier
COLLIERS AND HOUSE HEAD COAL WYND KIRKCALDY
VR005000001-

If visiting it's worth buying all the relevant docs which are very cheap on SP with addresses where family were born/married/died which will not show on transcriptions & Kirkcaldy is small enough to visit many places in one day if need be when armed with the info!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline East View

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 May 19 09:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Annie.
We will investigate.

Offline Alice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 03 August 20 18:41 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for a street called Gas Works Place in Kirkcaldy but as of yet cannot seem to work out where it was.

Offline Alice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 August 20 18:42 BST (UK) »
It was also known as Gas House on some records. These records are from 1918.