Author Topic: Problems with Ancestry DNA pages?  (Read 9195 times)

Offline gizmo303

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Ancestry DNA pages?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 25 April 19 13:26 BST (UK) »
And they've changed the individual match page layout  :(
The new user match page is not good.

It's not just a layout change but some of the functionality has gone, which I found pretty handy. 

For instance, with Shared Surnames, you could quickly compare side-by-side yours and theirs. It would display birth, death and location. You can still compare but only displays the name. That's no real use.

Also the tree is much smaller compared to the previous version. It displayed more info and more generations. You used to get all the surnames down the left side. I've found matches when something catches my eye; or spelling variations. This has now gone.

Contact user also gone. I've only used it a few times but had a reply every time.

I feel this is a step backwards.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 25 April 19 14:30 BST (UK) »
And the blue 'was this helpful' whatsit seems to have stopped popping up!!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 25 April 19 14:43 BST (UK) »
My first Ancestry glitch just now - a tree couldn't be displayed.

The message was:  'Our backend services are overtaxed just now .............'   sounds like a messy problem to me as if something nasty has been eaten!

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 25 April 19 14:51 BST (UK) »
Yes, I got that message as well - and had the same unwelcome picture pop into my mind!! Do you think we should send them some Imodium?  ;D
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 25 April 19 14:54 BST (UK) »
Good thought Jill.  ;)

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 26 April 19 19:26 BST (UK) »
And they've changed the individual match page layout  :(
The new user match page is not good.

It's not just a layout change but some of the functionality has gone, which I found pretty handy. 

For instance, with Shared Surnames, you could quickly compare side-by-side yours and theirs. It would display birth, death and location. You can still compare but only displays the name. That's no real use.

Also the tree is much smaller compared to the previous version. It displayed more info and more generations. You used to get all the surnames down the left side. I've found matches when something catches my eye; or spelling variations. This has now gone.

Contact user also gone. I've only used it a few times but had a reply every time.

I feel this is a step backwards.
It seems they have traded being able to see 5 generations of a tree without a subscription for the ability to contact users  :(. Also the lack of detail on your surname matches between trees is a definite step back.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 26 April 19 19:29 BST (UK) »
It appears that there have been further enhancements implemented last night. I can now sc=access the other DNA tests that I manage. On the match's profile page there is a DNA summary option under which there is a drop-down box with the other two tests (in my case).

Now they need to provide me with a route back to where I was before.

It's all rather 'clunky' but there is a possibility that it will end up better than it was.

BUT...

... please, please, please don't make me have to scroll down to find the 999th match on which I was working and from which I then had to navigate away. With my coal-fired broadband connection, I run the risk of losing then will to live.
Just scrolling down now I am getting people appear MULTIPLE times!!! Is anyone else having this bug ???? I can see this much more obviously if I select common ancestors.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 26 April 19 23:31 BST (UK) »
I can't get my profile or the profiles of my matches up now. I just get Secure Connection failure (Firefox) or This page isn't working (Chrome)! 

Support suggest that I should only use Firefox or Chrome and to make sure that they are up to date, which of course I do and which I have checked.  And I clear cache and their cookies regularly!

I have sent them various snips to show them and suggested that they should do thorough testing before they implement changes.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 27 April 19 03:51 BST (UK) »
 >:( Just spent half an hour wording a message to a DNA match and it won't go through  >:(

I hope they get their act together asap!

M
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)