Author Topic: Chelsea Pensioner papers on Fold3  (Read 645 times)

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
Chelsea Pensioner papers on Fold3
« on: Wednesday 24 April 19 23:37 BST (UK) »
I know this is a bit cheeky but:

Is there anyone out there with a Fold3 Premium account who would be able to check some details for me please? I can give you the Fold3 ref and some details of who I think this bloke is. If they match up then I'll fork out for a month to be able to download the images myself, but I can't really afford to do this just on the off-chance. I'm currently unpicking what I thought was a bit of a boggle in my Dad's (largely pre-internet) research and am now wondering just what sort of a bag of worms he bequeathed me.

Cheers,
Stitch
Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline normamac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chelsea Pensioner papers on Fold3
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 April 19 04:56 BST (UK) »
 I will check it out for you.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 April 19 07:21 BST (UK) »
I have found some Chelsea pensioner information that is on fold 3 is also on FindMyPast
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 April 19 18:31 BST (UK) »
I will check it out for you.

Ooh thank you! Our chap is:

Arnold Heywood (or Haywood) baptised St Thomas', Friarmere, Saddleworth, Yokshire son of James and Ann Heywood (Haywood) of Birchenbank, 26-3-1790. This is definitely him.

NA Ref WO97 Pieces 1278-4287 (various pieces within range) has him 1809-1833 Royal Regiment of Artillery 4th Battalion . This is possibly him.

1841 and 1851 censuses have him in Woolwich first with wife (married Ireland) and children and then living with a married daughter and her family. If WO97 is him then so are these also his death in Woolwich in 1855 (complete with transcription errors).

Many thanks
Stitch

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 April 19 18:34 BST (UK) »
I have found some Chelsea pensioner information that is on fold 3 is also on FindMyPast

Thanks Rosie for the suggestion. Time, methinks, for queuing for a PC at the local library, as I definitely can't afford FindMyPast's prices as well.

Regards
Stitch

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 April 19 19:18 BST (UK) »
Someone very kindly did this for me this week because I was querying the soldier's age. Turns out their transcription was wrong, and also the record was exactly the same as the one on FindMyPast. But I did notice there is a free trial option for Fold3.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 April 19 21:33 BST (UK) »
Someone very kindly did this for me this week because I was querying the soldier's age. Turns out their transcription was wrong, and also the record was exactly the same as the one on FindMyPast. But I did notice there is a free trial option for Fold3.

There is indeed, but the records I need to see are, naturally, only available with a Premium subscription. That's cheaper on Fold3 than on FindMyPast but still beyond my budget if I can help it. If someone is able to give me the gist of what's there I'll shell out for a month to get my paws on it, but I really can't afford to waste funds if I can help it. I've lost track of how many free subscriptions I've had to FindMyPast et al ;) but at times there's no help for it LOL!

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 April 19 00:46 BST (UK) »
I've had a look and the record goes on for several pages but much of the same information is repeated.  Born Saddleworth, Cotton Weaver by trade. Enlisted Feb 1809 aged 18, served as a Gunner & Driver until Dec 1833 (or Jan 1834). Served 3yr 6m in the West Indies.  Discharged with Chronic Rheumatism.  A description of him is given at the time of discharge & he was able to sign his name.

It doesn't give much information about his actual service, but it's an interesting document all the same.

Added: I also meant to say that the proceedings of the medical board were at Woolwich.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 April 19 21:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much! I'm sure that's him so will scrape up the fee to download it. I managed to look at the pension records via my local library today and was able to nearly see his service record. Unfortunately their network fell apart at the seams when I tried to print anything (which in theory I should have been able to do), so I left before I lost patience.