Author Topic: Mary Ann BUCKLEY b1821 in Cork  (Read 2371 times)

Offline missbazil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mary Ann BUCKLEY b1821 in Cork
« on: Thursday 25 April 19 03:49 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the parents of my 3rd great-grandmother Mary Ann Buckley (1821 - 1864)
Mary Ann (Molly) left Ireland for Australia in 1841 either aboard the Mary Nixon or Portland, married James Watson 1815-1861, moved to Tasmania and started their life.
I can not for the life of my find her parents! There are so many Mary Ann Buckleys born in Cork in 1821.
Has anyone else come across Mary Ann in their travels or can help me to work out how to better identify her parents? All I have from her life in Ireland is her passenger details leaving for Australia, and even then, she's turning on up two different ships!

Addtionally I am having the same issue with her huband. I know he was born in Montrose, Scotland, but can't seem to pin down his parents.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated! :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann BUCKLEY b1821 in Cork
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 April 19 05:07 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 April 19 05:28 BST (UK) »
Here is the digitised passenger List for the Mary Nixon, arriving 1841.

The list is in several sections .... families, single men,  single women.

http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?Page=NRS5316/4_4814/Mary%20Nixon_30%20Nov%201841/4_481400107.jpg&No=4

page 4

Single Women
Mary BUCKLEY, 20, general servant, Roman Catholic, Read and Write, native of Cork.

May I mention that this lass is noted there as Mary BUCKLEY, not Mary Ann.  Perhaps it is not significant, but there are other lasses on that list who were recorded as Mary Ann  - see page 1 for example.

Here is the live link to the Portland's digitised passenger list (1841)
http://indexes.records.nsw.gov.au/ebook/list.aspx?Page=NRS5316/4_4787/Portland_11%20Mar%201841/4_478700196.jpg&No=7

Page 7.
Single Women
Margaret BUCKLEY, 17,  Dressmaker, Roman Catholic, Read and Write, Limerick
Mary BUCKLEY, 19, Dressmaker, Servant, Roman Catholic, Read and Write, Limerick

I wonder if Margaret and Mary BUCKLEY were sisters?  And if looking for Margaret would help identify the parents? 

So one lass was from Limerick and one was from Cork. Limerick arrived 11 March 1841 to Sydney NSW and she was aged 19, and perhaps her sister came with her.    The Cork lass  arrived 30 November 1841 to Port Philip (ie to what is now Melbourne, Victoria) and she was aged 20.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline missbazil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 April 19 05:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you JM.

The fact that Mary is showing up on both passenger manifests is what's adding to the confusion. I guess until I find her parents I wont know which one is the right one. I know that she came over with her brother James, who is showing on the Portland manifest. And that she apparently met her husband James Watson on the ship over. He was crew - so if I can find a crew manifest for either ship I might have some luck working out which ship she came out on!
I will try adding Margaret as a sister and see where that leads me. I figure there's a good chance she is related, given name, location and age.

Offline missbazil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 April 19 05:44 BST (UK) »
Yes I also posted on Ireland board - I hope that's not frowned upon?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 April 19 06:02 BST (UK) »
Cork and Limerick are two different localities .... :)

What document gives you Cork as her native place?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 April 19 06:11 BST (UK) »
Portland
Single Men
Francis BUCKLEY, 22 Carpenter, Roman Catholic, Read and Write, Limerick.

Re two threads about same person ...best to concentrate on just the one thread.  If this were my ancestor, and I wanted info about their origins, I would post on the board that covers those origins.  Don't start another thread on the Limerick board, perhaps just pause until Hallmark has returned to the Cork board.

I will post on the Cork Board. 

Ancestry's images are from the NSW Archives.   Please be careful and avoid infringing any T&C from subscription websites.   ;)

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 April 19 06:21 BST (UK) »