Author Topic: Marriage banns  (Read 511 times)

Offline Lynne Tann-Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marriage banns
« on: Thursday 25 April 19 13:40 BST (UK) »
I have a family member whose banns were called in July 1852. I can't find the marriage on Ancestry, nor can I find any trace of the wife's death, but nine months later, the husband, John Tann married again. Do you think it's possible the first marriage didn't go ahead? What reasons could there have been for that?
I haven't found trace of the second wife's death either, but he married apparently a third time five years later. So frustrating not to be able to find naything aobut the first two!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage banns
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 April 19 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Would these be the Banns? -

John Walker Tann
Marriage Banns - 4 Jul 1852, St Mary, Lambeth, Lambeth, England
Spouse - Eliza Stokes

Marriage -

John Walker Tann
Marriage - 11 Jul 1852, St. Mary, Lambeth, Surrey, England
Spouse - Eliza Stokes

A John Walker Tann married q2 1853, Kensington. Are these the details you have?

If these are not correct it would be advisable to post the details you have please.

JJ

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 April 19 14:03 BST (UK) »
Yes they are the details. Sorry, I should have put them up to start with. The marriage shown on 11th July 1852 can't be right though, as 11th July was the date of the second reading of the banns.
The marriage in 1853 is to a Mary Jales.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 April 19 14:12 BST (UK) »
According to the banns book for Lambeth, the banns were read on 11, 18 and 25 July (Ancestry is wrong with 4 July there is no entry on that date). This couple apparently did not marry at Lambeth. It was the habit of the parish clerk, James Longman Gawler, to mark a cross in the banns book against the names of couples who did marry at Lambeth, and there is no such mark for John Walker Tann and Eliza Stokes. It would appear that somebody had second thoughts -- and there could be all sorts of reasons why.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 April 19 14:15 BST (UK) »
I see what you mean regarding the Banns. It would appear that the 1852 marriage never took place.

The marriage cert for his marriage in 1853 may help as it'll say if he was a widower or bachelor.

JJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 April 19 14:17 BST (UK) »
Oh good point! Why didn't I think of that! He's recorded as bachelor so it looks as though the marriage did not go ahead. I wonder why? What reasons could there be for not continuing once the banns have been read?

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 April 19 14:19 BST (UK) »
Change of heart perhaps!

There are all manner of reasons as to why a marriage never took place.

JJ

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 April 19 21:59 BST (UK) »
What reasons could there be for not continuing once the banns have been read?

Maybe someone stood up at the service and declared some just impediment (I guess that must have happened occasionally?).  But banns were usually read at the churches of both parties, so it could have taken place elsewhere - tho it appears that it didn't.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 April 19 22:30 BST (UK) »
Possible death of second wife, Mary Tann aged 19, December 1/4 1854 St George Hanover Square.

Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk