Author Topic: attitude to illegitimacy in the eighteenth century  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: attitude to illegitimacy in the eighteenth century
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 April 19 22:23 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor who had an illegitimate daughter with a brother of her new sister in law, although which brother we may never know. That daughter, also my ancestor, went on to have two illegitimate children of her own before marrying. Those children baffle me a bit because my ancestor was on the Cornwall/Devon border and the reputed father was in Kent for the first child and Yorkshire for the second child. I do believe he was the father of the first though, given the evidence available.

I recently found out what happened to the eldest illegitimate child- she emigrated to Canada (no wonder I couldn't find her!) She married under her biological father's surname but every other record after that has her stepfather's surname as her maiden name. Her stepfather's Royal Marine records also name her as his first child. Oddly her younger brother never lives with the family, is not mentioned on the records and as far as I can tell is simply passed around until he settles down himself. I have no idea why.

Offline Andy_T

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 April 19 14:42 BST (UK) »
I don't think that the eighteenth centuary attitude was that tolerant towards illegitimacy, athough whipping and making unmarried mothers do a penance by wearing a white sheet or a shroud  had largely ended by that time.
Parish registers were often unkind and illegitimate children could be described in ways that would shame and stigmatize them for life. Examples in C18 & early C19 I have found include some of the following:
The Bastatard (s) OR (d) of MOTHER'S NAME
The Base-born (s) OR (d) of MOTHER'S NAME & FATHER'S NAME
The Natural born (s) OR (d) of MOTHER'S NAME (this one is slightly kinder)
The Superfluous (s) OR (d) of MOTHER'S NAME & FATHER'S NAME

Even today's more enlightened attitudes, not everone is comfortable about illegitimacy.

Andy_T

Thurman, Coleman, Beck, Shaw

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 April 19 15:07 BST (UK) »
Another common (and dictionary) label was Spurious (or Spurius/Spuria in Latin).
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 April 19 18:34 BST (UK) »
Happy to be corrected,  but I have been of the understanding that in England that it was not until 1753 or thereabouts that Parliament introduced laws about marriage,  so surely without such laws there would not have been any legal definition or 'illegitimacy' concerns anyway.
Hardwicke's Marriage Act was an effort to prevent clandestine marriages.
There were legitimate and illegitimate children in English laws for centuries before then. Welsh law was different. So were Scottish and Irish laws.
Cowban

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 April 19 21:02 BST (UK) »
Superfluous! I hadn't come across that one before lol

I was born in wedlock but the number of children nowadays born before marriage or without marriage at all would horrify some of our ancestors I'm sure.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 April 19 21:22 BST (UK) »
In the book "My ancestor was a bastard" it asks the question as to why illegitimacy was higher in Marylebone but much lower in Bethnal Green a few miles away". Well Marylebone had many wealthy people living there, from highly paid lawyers to doctors and nobility etc who hired servants.

I suppose in the 18th century in some areas illegitimacy was seen as more common so the attitude was that it was more to be expected than other areas.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 00:11 BST (UK) »
In the book "My ancestor was a bastard" it asks the question as to why illegitimacy was higher in Marylebone but much lower in Bethnal Green a few miles away". Well Marylebone had many wealthy people living there, from highly paid lawyers to doctors and nobility etc who hired servants.

I suppose in the 18th century in some areas illegitimacy was seen as more common so the attitude was that it was more to be expected than other areas.
Those poor serving girls.....
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 09:47 BST (UK) »

In making this comparison between neighbourhoods one must factor in honesty towards the recorder, as well as simple philandery.  ;)
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 17:11 BST (UK) »
We must not confuse the attitude towards poor mothers who required help to support their illegitimate child(ren) with an attitude towards illegitimacy.
In the earlier centuries if one was able to support ones illegitimate child there was no stigma, that came later during the Victorian period.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.