Author Topic: Newcastle Upon Tyne All Saints Church  (Read 3800 times)

Offline Mhairi28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newcastle Upon Tyne All Saints Church
« on: Thursday 25 April 19 17:19 BST (UK) »
I would be grateful if someone could look up a baptismal record for me. Harriet Walker was baptized there on 3rd December 1848. Her mother appears to be Margaret but I have no information about her father.

Many thanks.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle Upon Tyne All Saints Church
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 April 19 17:24 BST (UK) »
If this is her birth registration she is likely to be illegitimate

WALKER, HARRIET    (No mothers maiden surname on index)   - 
1848  Dec Quarter in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE UNION  Volume 25  Page 350

ADDED There is no father mentioned on the baptism - Margarets occupation is given as Spinster
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mhairi28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 April 19 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I suspected she was illegitimate but thought the baptismal record would confirm it. In the 1851 census she is listed as being a daughter of the family aged 2 but her "mother" Ellen is 51. In 1861 she is living with an aunt.There is no sign of Margaret though she is listed in the 1841 census.
Many thanks.

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 April 19 22:22 BST (UK) »
I think this is the right one, All Saints, Newcastle

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01npj/

no.1372
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline Mhairi28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 April 19 23:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the link. Although I found it very difficult to read I it seems to confirm her mother was unmarried. The record I had found just said the father was Walker which caused the confusion.
I had not used the Latter Day Saints site for a number of years so had to sign in again. I did not know you could actually view the records now.
Thanks again.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 April 19 23:53 BST (UK) »
The Bishop Transcript images have been available for years, although I've never been able to easily locate them from going through the site itself- I have to type it into Google! Worth bookmarking it, there's a lot of Northumberland BTs viewable, although not complete records. I have one family where the images were missing for every single year one of the children was born but present every year either side of it!  ::)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 April 19 07:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the link. Although I found it very difficult to read I it seems to confirm her mother was unmarried.

The clergy does seem to use the phrase 'spinster' as mentioned in my earlier post rather than single woman to show the child is illegitimate.  It sounds better than some of the descriptions that some clergy give for illegitimate children  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 April 19 08:56 BST (UK) »
The Bishop Transcript images have been available for years, although I've never been able to easily locate them from going through the site itself- I have to type it into Google! Worth bookmarking it, there's a lot of Northumberland BTs viewable, although not complete records. I have one family where the images were missing for every single year one of the children was born but present every year either side of it!  ::)

I also hadn't been able to find them through the site itself and have bookmarked the page posted by Willsy - very helpful.

I had found a baptism on there (subject of another very short post on the Northumberland board) which has a camera icon next to it but no image - just says 'not available at this time'. The bp was in Elswick St Philips which is missing from the list of parishes so I'm presuming it's one that hasn't been scanned. As Ayashi says...  ::)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 April 19 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Mhairi28

Perhaps Harriet's Father's name might be recorded on her marriage entry.

A 'Harriet Walker' married at All Saints Church in 1867.  See the Marriage Locator website. (I first learned about this very useful website from avm).  Do you think this might be your Harriet?

http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/cgi-bin/ML_search.cgi?year=1867&qtr=3&vol=10b&page=38&search=search

If so, this marriage record will be held at Tyne and Wear Archives and Northumberland Archives.  If this is your Harriet - are you near enough to be able to view this record at the archives?

My work hours aren't compatible with Tyne and Wear Archives opening hours at the moment.  However, if you would like this marriage checked out but you can't get there to do this yourself and if no one else comes forward, I may be able to do this look up at some point in the future. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner