Author Topic: Edgar Leggett ...no record of him in Canada anywhere  (Read 2338 times)

Offline littlesis 76

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edgar Leggett ...no record of him in Canada anywhere
« on: Thursday 25 April 19 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi ,I was approach by a Manitoba researcher as I had this man in a tree.
His name was Edgar Samuel Leggett ,he was born 1880 in Charsfield Suffolk,he married and had several children and was a "horse doctor.
Sometime in 1921-24 he left for Canada and returned to England where he tried to persuade his wife to move there ,she declined and he return with a number of heavy horses,apart from a postcard to his daughter from Winnipeg he was never heard from again.
His Grandson has been looking since 2009 as his mother and himself always wanted to know ,sadly this man is terminally ill and really would love the mystery solved.
They have contacted the saskatchewan genealogical society who have found no records and have paid a researcher in Manitoba . I know its a long shot but could anybody help or suggest some records that I don't know about.
Thank you

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edgar Leggett ...no record of him in Canada anywhere
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 April 19 20:27 BST (UK) »
I can't even find him on UK passenger lists leaving UK, returning UK and leaving again.   Most odd.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline littlesis 76

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 April 19 20:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for looking ,they contacted someone about that and were told alot of records for shipping were destroyed in ww2 but that's in the UK there is no record of him in Canada .We running out of time with regards ti his grandson finding out what happened to him

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 April 19 20:53 BST (UK) »
The only edgar Leggett Ive found in Canada is this one.

Census Year: 1921

Surname: Leggett
Given Name(s): Edgar
Province: British Columbia

I can't read what his job is :(
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline littlesis 76

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 April 19 21:00 BST (UK) »
This is the email I received from his grandsons friend who has been searching since 2009 .He is not great with computers but has followed many lines via letters

Offline littlesis 76

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 April 19 21:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry re reading that email I got the years slightly out apologises  .He since has had a reply from skatchewan to say they could find nothing. The grandson recently took a dna also too see if any matches but there was no one close.
Also we were wondering would there be any tax records if he was going over to start a business ?

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 April 19 21:35 BST (UK) »
Not any direct help in your search but on 7 November 1908 and on 14 December 1912, "The Chemist and Druggist" reported that Edgar S Leggett had been fined for falsely describing his professional status as a "horse doctor".

Perhaps he " reinvented" himself in Canada?

Offline littlesis 76

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 April 19 21:41 BST (UK) »
I have seen those reports but thank you. Neither is anything big enough to leave and reinvent but the idea of a lady friend is 😁 .I have thought about that but what is throwing me is that he went twice and after the first he wanted his wife to go so would he of used a different name the 1st time ?.
I have tried looking for a Edgar Wright (his MMN) and Edgar Doole his wife MN . Whole thing is very strange it isn't like he would of sneeked aboard he took a fleet of heavy horses ( possibility Suffolk Punch)
Thank you all so much for taking the time to look

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 April 19 21:56 BST (UK) »
and he return with a number of heavy horses,

Is there proof of this or is it a 'story' passed down in the family?

Interesting that Florence signed the 1911 census with 'for Edgar Leggett' in brackets. Was he actually there in 1911? 

In 1901 Edgar is a horse (vet) doctor but in 1911 is a farrier so obviously, on public documents at least there was no misrepresentation of his qualifications.