Author Topic: Edgar Leggett ...no record of him in Canada anywhere  (Read 2318 times)

Offline littlesis 76

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edgar Leggett ...no record of him in Canada anywhere
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 April 19 22:06 BST (UK) »
His father and Grandfather are horse doctors or veterinary surgeons also his uncles and  cousins nearly all are dealing with horses ,either vets,horse doctors or Farriers .
His grandson is extremely well known in Suffolk for his knowledge of the Suffolk punch horse and has travelled all over the world to discuss the breed. So I don't disbelieve that part of the story.
I will ask if there is anything I have missed that could help but I think that is it.
Just wish i could at least find him on a passenger list !

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 April 19 01:27 BST (UK) »
Has anyone contacted the US Suffolk Punch association?

https://suffolkpunch.com/members?rand=11205&limitstart=0

I see there is a member from Manitoba.  If he did take horses and continue working with them It maybe someone might know something.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 April 19 06:48 BST (UK) »
There are a decent number of old articles on Leggetts in that area.  As you may have already found them in your research, I've just put a few notes referencing what the article is about, as it might help explain Edgar's various occupations:

Evening Star 28 November 1899
Inquest into death of Nathan Leggett death, which was from an accident in which he was thrown from his horse drawn "trap", and the coroner states that two out of three "accidents" requiring an inquest at that same location had fatalities to veterinary doctors.  Edgar is mentioned as identifying the body, and his occupation is given as "dealer"

Middlesex County Times 07 February 1903
Death of a highly respected James Leggett, 3rd son of Cornelius, born 1815, both veterinary doctors, university trained, lived Hanwell Suffolk. Well known farriers and vets etc.  (Could this be Nathan's father?)

Evening Star 19 June 1908
Edgar Samuel Leggett, horse-breaker, Ipswich, charged with cruelty to a horse at Trimley. The owners of the horse thought that he was "a real horse doctor" and called him to tend to their animal.  Edgar said he had succeeded his father in his business nine years earlier. and had never had a problem. However he made a very serious error, and the RSPCA and  a "real veterinarian" was called in, and the horse had to be put down.
This article also discusses how anyone can practice animal medicine, as long as they don't refer to themselves as veterinary surgeons. The common term used  for the untrained ones was  "horse doctors".

East Anglian Daily Times 30 October 1908

PUBLIC NOTICE
EDGAR SAMUEL LEGGETT, S. JOHN'S
IPSWICH
Beg to inform his Clients that he still car-
ries his Practice on as usual, thanking
them for past favours, hoping to continue the
same.

Framlingham Weekly News 30 August 1913
Edgar Samuel Leggett of Saxmundham, pig dealer, getting fined (again) for no licence on his sulky. He also breaks colts and tends sick cows.

Edited to add missing words and the PUBLIC NOTICE article.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 April 19 07:37 BST (UK) »
Not any direct help in your search but on 7 November 1908 and on 14 December 1912, "The Chemist and Druggist" reported that Edgar S Leggett had been fined for falsely describing his professional status as a "horse doctor".

Perhaps he " reinvented" himself in Canada?

I just found the article of the court case to which Brentnor was referring to, and it was held in October 1908, so I am assuming that is what the "PUBLIC NOTICE" article was about in my previous post, from East Anglian Daily Times 30 October 1908.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 April 19 07:49 BST (UK) »
Ugh.  If you have access to the series England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935   look him up.

I highly doubt this is something his grandson wants to know.

Offline littlesis 76

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 April 19 08:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your replies .Edgars Grandfather was James Leggett who was a veterinary surgeon ,i believe all his sons were horse doctors or vets and his daughter married a vet.His son is Nathan who died in the accident that is Edgars father.
I will find out if they have contacted the punch society but when i asked the friend if they were punch  he said most likely a mix and not true pedigree.
I am trying to branch out to see if any of the cousins who also dealt with horses left for Canada ,maybe Edgar joined them there ,just clutching at anything really.
This is Edgar s grandson with one of his Suffolk Punch Horses

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 April 19 08:16 BST (UK) »
Was there a return address on that postcard (was thinking we might find the address in a directory, as he probably changed his name)?

Offline littlesis 76

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 April 19 08:17 BST (UK) »
Ugh.  If you have access to the series England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935   look him up.

I highly doubt this is something his grandson wants to know.

I have check the records are on FindMyPast I only have Anc .Would it be the reason he left ?

Offline littlesis 76

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 April 19 08:20 BST (UK) »
Was there a return address on that postcard (was thinking we might find the address in a directory, as he probably changed his name)?

I will check with the friend who is helping as far I know it was Winnipeg but the Manitoba society has said he may of been passing through. Hopefully he know this as access to his grandson is hard as he is now so poorly