Author Topic: Edgar Leggett ...no record of him in Canada anywhere  (Read 2337 times)

Offline littlesis 76

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edgar Leggett ...no record of him in Canada anywhere
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 April 19 08:23 BST (UK) »

Middlesex County Times 07 February 1903
Death of a highly respected James Leggett, 3rd son of Cornelius, born 1815, both veterinary doctors, university trained, lived Hanwell Suffolk. Well known farriers and vets etc.  (Could this be Nathan's father?)

Sorry yes Nathan is his father and James his grandfather

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 April 19 08:34 BST (UK) »
I've sent a pm.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 April 19 16:34 BST (UK) »
Might he have had a relative (cousin, perhaps?) named George Leggett born Suffolk about 1879? This man was a farmer returning to Alberta Canada from England early March 1923. Had first arrived in Canada in 1904, had been in England approx 3 months but doesn't say where.

If they were related, perhaps Edgar joined him there?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 April 19 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi again....

The outbound passenger list for George indicates he was at Stowlangtoft Bury St Edmonds Suffolk.

He also has a brother William with him in Alberta censuses, also a farmer.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline littlesis 76

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 April 19 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi I can't see any Georges around that age the closest one is a cousin and it's 10yr difference.
I have looked at the family getting back to around 1750's there are loads of them
The Leggetts all go back to a tiny village called Charsfield ,Nathan Leggett moved from there to Ipswich Town.
I have now spoken to Will today (grandsons friend) and we think in light of the newspaper articles and jail sentence Edgar was rùnning away and possibly used another name.
I need to go to local RO as the local papers only go to 1910s online and see if Edgar is mentioned in any.Will keep on looking at cousins etc for anyone who emigrated incase Edgar is with them