Author Topic: Richard Farrell Drowning Roath Dock  (Read 1190 times)

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Farrell Drowning Roath Dock
« on: Friday 26 April 19 13:04 BST (UK) »
Wondering how I can get access to Obituary or newspaper article relating to the above who drown in Roath Dock in 1911 Want to find out more about incident
 He was born about 1863 Cardiff Cant find his birth record either Father was James a laborer He was married to Catherine Regan  born Cardiff 1867 Lived in Russell street and was Coal trimmer
Thanks

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Farrell Drowning Roath Dock
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 April 19 13:16 BST (UK) »
If you know the date (more than just the year) it would be worth contacting the local studies library in Cardiff as they have the local papers on disc. The staff are very helpful and I’m sure they’d look for you - if a short date span - and could email a copy of any report.

https://www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/resident/Libraries-and-archives/Find-a-library/Pages/Cathays-Library.aspx

There’s a contact us button at the bottom of the page.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 April 19 13:39 BST (UK) »
I see his death was registered in the March quarter but to get a closer date - if you don’t have the death certificate - you could contact Cardiff council bereavement services...

https://cardiffbereavement.co.uk/

They should be able to tell you when (and where) he was buried, and with whom.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 April 19 21:09 BST (UK) »
I think he may have trimmed a few years off his age after marrying Catherine. 1891 census he is enumerated as 38 and 39 in 1901.   ::)

possible from 1871
26 Milton St RG10/5366 folio 75 pg 61
Jas Farrell head mar 41 labourer b. Ireland
Ellen wife 44 b. Ireland
Margaret dau 16 servant
Richard son 14
Ellen dau 12
Lizzie dau 11
Willie son 7
Arthur son 4
children all born Cardiff

Of the children, I can find birth registrations for Margaret(as Farrel), Ellen, Elizabeth & William all giving mother's maiden name of Barrett. Also Edward in 1852, Winifred 1854 & Catherine 1856. Deaths for Winifred & Catherine registered in the same quarter as their births and Edward's in march qtr 1860 age 9.

Possible from 1851 for James & Ellen with members of Ellen's family?
5 Love Lane, Cardiff HO107/2455 folio 375 pg 44
Nancy Barrett head widow 66 lodging house keeper
William son 26 carpenter
Margaret dau 20
James Farrell lodger mar 38 labourer
Ellen Farrell wife 28
Ann Farrell dau 18 (enumerated as if years, but think it should be months)
all born Ireland
+ another page plus of lodgers

Marriage reg
Ellen Barrett sept qtr 1846 Cardiff vol 26 pg 538 with James Farrel on the same page
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 April 19 21:46 BST (UK) »
He appears in the papers from an early age
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3095338/3095341/7/

Went to prison for assaulting his wife
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3249839/3249842/56/

Also involved in a strange case of forgery (as a victim)
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3266145/3266148/49/

But no sign of the death!

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 April 19 21:56 BST (UK) »
Those are brilliant finds 😀.  I couldn’t find anything in the papers for him, though i was primarily looking for his death.

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 April 19 00:07 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks so much everyone Lots to be getting on with Brilliant

Offline Gfarrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 October 19 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you are interested i have copies of all these documents as Richard was my Great Grandad

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 October 19 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
If you are interested i have copies of all these documents as Richard was my Great Grandad

Welcome to Rootschat.

Jennyrob should get notification of your reply and will hopefully be back here soon. 😀