Author Topic: Burial of William Scarth Holy Trinity Hull  (Read 720 times)

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Burial of William Scarth Holy Trinity Hull
« on: Friday 26 April 19 14:16 BST (UK) »
This burial  is said to have taken place 10th March 1578 I have his will.

From the image I would like to know what is says underneath the entry Something 1582?

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burial of William Scarth Holy Trinity Hull
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 April 19 14:29 BST (UK) »
   I think it's 2 words, and the second is either "January" "July"
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 April 19 14:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for you input

I think it's 2 words, and the second is either "January" "July"

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 April 19 14:37 BST (UK) »
It's nothing to do with the entry above - "Died and Buried July 1581 AD". However, it does raise an interesting question:

In a church which looks to have been fairly busy, if the dates and page numbers in the register are to be believed, why were no burials recorded between 10 March 1578 and 24 July 1581? (Also between 31 May 1578 and 2 Oct 1578) That seems very unlikely to me.

Since the writing is all the same and neatly set out, this looks like a register that was compiled from an earlier one, or from loose papers, and quite a lot appears to have got lost in the process. I wonder if any of the other entries have been written in elsewhere, out of order?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 April 19 14:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I wonder if it’s the BT’s and the original is adrift. The burial of his wife Diones in 1600 is shown in the BT’s and the original.

Thanks again

It's nothing to do with the entry above - "Died and Buried July 1581 AD". However, it does raise an interesting question:

In a church which looks to have been fairly busy, if the dates and page numbers in the register are to be believed, why were no burials recorded between 10 March 1578 and 24 July 1581? (Also between 31 May 1578 and 2 Oct 1578) That seems very unlikely to me.

Since the writing is all the same and neatly set out, this looks like a register that was compiled from an earlier one, or from loose papers, and quite a lot appears to have got lost in the process. I wonder if any of the other entries have been written in elsewhere, out of order?

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 April 19 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I wonder if it’s the BT’s and the original is adrift. The burial of his wife Diones in 1600 is shown in the BT’s and the original.

1578 is too early for BTs - for this church they start in 1600. (Also, BTs are usually written out a year at a time, with signatures at the bottom to certify they are a true copy etc.)

I've just had a quick look to see if there are any printed transcripts available, as the old volumes sometimes contain an introduction describing the registers and the state they're in etc. I haven't found a complete volume, but there are extracts in the Yorkshire Archaeological Journal Vol.14 (1898).

The relevant page can be seen at https://archive.org/details/yorkshirearchae04socigoog/page/n214 - it certainly doesn't seem to have all the entries, but at the start of 1576 there's the rather ominous note 'Dates confused and irregular'. That's all the introduction I could find.

During my searches I noticed that Holy Trinity was a chapel of ease to All Saints, Hessle until 1661. Clearly Holy Trinity had registers of its own before then, but sometimes entries from a chapel of ease were copied into the registers of the parent church too.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 April 19 16:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you for going the extra mile arthurk. William's Will is very interesting leaving money to some poor maids at their wedding and some to repair the road to Anlaby.....And a Spanish cape!!!

Thanks again