Author Topic: Parents of Patrick Stirling who died in 1688  (Read 1092 times)

Offline 1JC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of Patrick Stirling who died in 1688
« on: Saturday 27 April 19 06:04 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I am hoping that someone can give me some advice about how to progress the following.

I have been researching my Stirling past and have been stuck at Patrick Stirling who married Isobell Carmichaell 2/12/1675 in Edinburgh. I have been trying to find anything that would point me to the birth and parents of Patrick with no success.

Recently I started reading the "Stirlings of Keir" (by William Fraser) and came across a group of names that were quite familiar to me; James Jack, John Burne and Robert Moir. They are all witnesses at the baptisms of Patrick and Isobell's children. They are also the husbands of the three youngest daughters of Archibald Stirling and Jean Mushet of Kippendavie. Archibald being the fifth son of Sir Archibald Stirling of Keir (1588 – 1630).

James Jack is married to Helen Stirling. John Burne is married to Margaret Stirling and Robert Moir is married to Jean Stirling.

It seems too much of a coincidence that witnesses with these names should be at the baptisms of Patrick's children (attached is a table summarising the baptisms and witnesses).
My immediate suspicion is that Patrick is a brother of Helen, Margaret and Jean but there is no mention of Archibald having a son called Patrick (Archibald did have a son George that died youngish and John who was the resultant heir). Neither is there any mention of a Patrick Stirling in the "Stirlings of Keir" for the right period of time.

I had hoped that there might be a Will that would help.
- Patrick died around 1688 but no will I have found.
- Archibald died around 1645/46 (according to The Stirlings of keir) but I have not found a Will for him.
- Archibald’s wife, Jean Mushet, had a Will dated 1682 (according to The Stirlings of keir) but I cannot find it on Scotlandspeople.

Any ideas on what I should do next? I do not live in the UK.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Patrick Stirling who died in 1688
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 April 19 08:30 BST (UK) »
No occupations mentioned, the younger sons of lairds had to shift for themselves so possibly the army or the law. As you reference Edinburgh try membership of one of the Trades Incorporations!

Skoosh.

Offline 1JC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 April 19 22:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Skoosh.

I have found the Roll of Edinburgh Burgesses and apprentices of the city of Edinburgh.

There is reference to a Patrick Stirling taking on Bonnetmaker apprentices between 1617 and 1644. There is only reference to this Patrick as the master so no information about a parent. However, I think this is too early to be our Patrick (I have attached some of these entries).

There is a 1638 entry for Archibald Stirling, son of Archibald (attached) as a merchant. This would be the Archibald who died 1845/6.

I have not been able to track down The faculty of advocated in Scotland 1532 - 1943 so unable to search for Partick Stirling there but I have looked through "the society of writers to the signe"t with no evidence of Patrick. Stirling there.

I have found no reference material for the army - do you know of any specific material I should look for?

So overall no luck yet. Are there any other avenues I should be following?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 April 19 06:53 BST (UK) »
A member of the Trades Incorporations first has to get a Burgess Ticket, another possibility is the Glasgow Trades House Burgess Rolls, try the Bonnet-makers & maybe even before the Edinburgh entries. Can't help with army stuff I'm afraid.

Skoosh.