Author Topic: Patterson family in Donegal came to Australia  (Read 3851 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Patterson family in Donegal came to Australia
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 April 19 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Do you have the marriage certs for each of those four?  If so, then that is first hand information they have provided when marrying, and likely would be considered more reliable than the information on any death registration.

Also, I am a tad confused,  your opening post says that the parents are William and Nancy McNUTT, but your topic heading has PATTERSON as the family name.   

I can see a Matthew PATTERSON's death registration INDEXED at VIC BDM for 1924.  It is ref # 16548.   The index displays his father as William Patterson, and no given name for mum, but her maiden name as McKNUTT.   Vic BDMs are usually very informative, and provide details of marriage/s, children of the marriage, length of time in the colony/state, occupation, parents etc etc.

When and where did the other three die?   Can you please check on those d.c.s re the responses to the question 'how long in the colonies' to help confirm the 1854 arrival info... 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 April 19 03:24 BST (UK) »
Here is the link to RChat's Australia Resources board:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia-resources-offers/

go to the sub-board for Victoria  ;D and you will find many live links, including this one
 http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html which is very helpful, re what to expect on Vic BDMs 

You can download the images directly from Vic bdm, you need to use a plastic card.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 April 19 04:13 BST (UK) »
Hello
The passenger list in case you do not have it is Narch 1854 to Melbourne
Robert Patterson 22
Ann 18
Matthew 10
William 8

They are on the Marian Moore from Liverpool.

Ciderdrinker

The Argus.  10 July 1924 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/4281881 
PATTERSON, on the 9th July 1924, at his residence, High street, Nagambie, Matthew, beloved husband of Martha Patterson, loved father of Agnes and Robert (Wahring), aged 84 years, Colonist 70 years. 

1924 less 84 give year of birth as 1839, or 1840, or 1841   
1924 less 70 gives year of arrival as 1854 aged 9, 10 or 11

So the first hand info he provided about himself and recorded on the  m.c. may be of great help for Irish searchings.   :)

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 April 19 04:20 BST (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=456183.0

That thread started over eight years ago  :) Perhaps there's clues there to help with this current thread.

Welcome to RChat Christine  :)

JM

Offline Christine Patterson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 02:58 BST (UK) »

She would be.....

Cannot find a record for an Ann or Mary Ann either. it's a mystery! I love sleuthing.
Richards
Patterson
Morton
Hingston
McRae
Bernacchi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 03:01 BST (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=456183.0

That thread started over eight years ago  :) Perhaps there's clues there to help with this current thread.

Welcome to RChat Christine  :)

JM

Spotted that. Just hopeful. Two of the boys married James sisters in Australia. According to a Donegal newspaper notice, their father seemed to be living in Longhill near Ramelton at the time of the marriage.
Richards
Patterson
Morton
Hingston
McRae
Bernacchi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 03:11 BST (UK) »
Four members of my husbands Patterson family from the ramelton area in Donegal emigrated to Victoria, Australia in the 1850s. Their names were Robert (20), Ann (18), Matthew (10) and William (8). The big gap in age means there were probably other children who did not come with them. Parents were William and Nancy McNutt . All four children had the same mother but cannot trace them.  Can anyone help with info.
Cheers Christine

I have their death certificates. All say mother was Nancy McNutt. The daughter was named Ann but always called Nancy

What records do you have that show who their Mother was?

On a relook, I noticed that 2 of the death certificates had McKnutt not Mcnutt. Don't know why . There are often spelling mistakes and not everyone could read or write. Those filling out dc. Had a guess. (The joys of research )  I will look with alternate spelling on Irish links helpfully provided earlier.
Christine
Richards
Patterson
Morton
Hingston
McRae
Bernacchi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 03:14 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Do you have the marriage certs for each of those four?  If so, then that is first hand information they have provided when marrying, and likely would be considered more reliable than the information on any death registration.
Ii
Also, I am a tad confused,  your opening post says that the parents are William and Nancy McNUTT, but your topic heading has PATTERSON as the family name.   

I can see a Matthew PATTERSON's death registration INDEXED at VIC BDM for 1924.  It is ref # 16548.   The index displays his father as William Patterson, and no given name for mum, but her maiden name as McKNUTT.   Vic BDMs are usually very informative, and provide details of marriage/s, children of the marriage, length of time in the colony/state, occupation, parents etc etc.

When and where did the other three die?   Can you please check on those d.c.s re the responses to the question 'how long in the colonies' to help confirm the 1854 arrival info... 

JM

JM, I am sure the 1854 arrival was correct,
Richards
Patterson
Morton
Hingston
McRae
Bernacchi

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 03:17 BST (UK) »
Do you have the marriage certs for those four?

JM