Author Topic: Joan Miller b. 11 Oct 1908 Dublin  (Read 437 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joan Miller b. 11 Oct 1908 Dublin
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 28 April 19 20:45 BST (UK) »
I think there might be a bit of confusion here?

Charles Grey Howse left his money to his son Charles and another gentleman. They where both secretaries at Mountjoy Brewery, Dublin. I've contacted the descendents of the brewery owners some time back, but have never received any additional information from them.
The Will Book only shows the names of assigned executors- in this case George Finney and Charles Howse. This does not mean they received anything from the estate- you need to see the actual Will to determine who is included to have something from his estate.

Edith Howse (Miller) left her money to her son in law and her solicitor. She didn't leave any to Joan, which I know upset her.
The same with Edith's Will.

As you said, Norah Howse left her money to Charles and Edith.
and Norah's.
Please do NOT ask for lookups by Personal Message.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hntcln2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 28 April 19 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hello aghadowey,

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware of that.

Regards,
__Colin

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 28 April 19 21:26 BST (UK) »
I thought you had those wills - you said Joan was upset at not receiving anything.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hntcln2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 28 April 19 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Heywood,
I haven't seen the wills, but Joan didn't receive any money from her mother when her mother died. It was something she and my mother complained about when we visited Joan when we were young. It is something that my mum always mentions when I ask her questions about her grandparents. So, I'm pretty sure Joan didn't get any money, but I don't know who did get it. I will order a copy of the will to find out.
Regards,
__Colin

Offline hntcln2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 28 April 19 21:54 BST (UK) »
Ordered the will for Edith Miller (House).
I think I now need to spend some time looking at the old wills that have been passed to me, and see if there is anything interesting in them. I haven't really looked at them before.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 28 April 19 21:56 BST (UK) »
Here’s hoping they help you solve the mystery.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 29 April 19 08:30 BST (UK) »
Some things to consider when looking at old Wills-
Date written- soon before death? or years earlier (may explain why someone isn't mentioned in a Will)
Division- everything left equally to all children? if not, perhaps one child had already been given their share to purchase a house, etc. Or does one person get a larger share than everyone else? (a spinster daughter getting more than her married sisters or son taking over family business, etc.)
Does anyone get a really small share (such as 'I leave £1 to my son Thomas') This was a way to prevent a person from contesting Will- if they weren't mentioned they could contest it on the grounds they'd been overlooked but it they were mentioned by name and got 'something' then no such claim could be made.
Names- sometimes bequests are made to people named after deceased (for example, only grandchildren listed are those named after the deceased grandfather)
Please do NOT ask for lookups by Personal Message.

Offline hntcln2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 14:46 BST (UK) »
Well, I got a copy of the probate and will, only for the will to belong to someone else. They are now trying to locate the correct will to send to me.......

Offline Purpeller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 12 May 19 22:33 BST (UK) »
Try searching for the surname only - she might have been born in the Rotunda, who were notorious for registering kids without their first name.

I searched for years for my great-grandfather's birth, despite having his DOB from his army record, and eventually found him as unknown Reilly, with the correct parents' names on the right date.
Dublin, Limerick, Carlow, Waterford, Wicklow, Pembrokeshire