Author Topic: Testament testamentar of Alexander Fotheringham  (Read 1152 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Testament testamentar of Alexander Fotheringham
« on: Saturday 27 April 19 13:44 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of this testament, which runs to 5½ pages. Confirmation was granted at St Andrews on 8 May 1624.

However I am struggling to read it.

Is there anyone who would be willing to read it through and tell me the salient points, i.e. dates, names and relationships of anyone mentioned in the document? I don't need a full transcription.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
Re: Testament testamentar of Alexander Fotheringham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 April 19 14:04 BST (UK) »
Could you post a little of it, please? Say a few lines to see how 'good' the writing is.  If it's not too bad I may be able to muddle my way through it...
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 April 19 15:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Rufous Treecreeper. See attached. I can make out the first few lines, and occasional bits elsewhere, but there is rather too much that I cannot make out.

The Testament testamentar of the .... and debts of umqll Alexr Fotheringhame of Ballindron who deceased upon the .... day of September 1623 .....
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 April 19 16:32 BST (UK) »
Looks like his relict is Grisel Durham. I'll send you a p.m.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 April 19 22:17 BST (UK) »
"............of the Inventaire of his guids gir and dettis.........."

ie, goods gear and debts.

I think there's an 'i' after the double tt in 'dettis' - hard to tell - no 'dot' over it, but then there are no no dots over many of the 'i' s he's written.

'Grisell durhame' - his 'relict and executrix', is on line 9.

Added: I see from a previous post of yours about this lady that you already know her name and quite a lot about her.
Sorry!  :)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 April 19 23:35 BST (UK) »
'Grisell durhame' - his 'relict and executrix', is on line 9.
Added: I see from a previous post of yours about this lady that you already know her name and quite a lot about her.
Sorry!  :)
No, it is I who should be saying sorry - but I didn't want to predispose anyone to find her name by linking back to the previous thread.

Now that you have confimed that it is indeed her, here's the link to the previous thread
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=811834.0

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 April 19 09:39 BST (UK) »
This is what I got (using English rather than Scots and using [  ??? ] for words I couldn't get in the transcription): -

The testament testamentar and inventory of the goods gear and debts of umqll Alex Fotheringham of Ballmodron? which deceased upon the ___ day of September 1623 [  ??? ] in Murehouse within the parish of Murehouse and Sheriffdom of Forfar [  ??? ] made and given up by himself with his own tongue speak and at Murehouse the 13 day of the said month of Sep & his [  ??? ] concerning the [maybe administration?] of his [  ??? ] and the debts underwritten all and by him to Thomas __thwen? of [  ??? ] And partly made and given up by Grissell Durhame his relict and executrix testamentar named by him in his letterwill underwritten of the date forsaid concerning the inventory of his goods and gear & his debts [  ??? ] owed to him by the persons after mentioned and the [  ??? ] debts underwritten all and by him to... (last few words I couldn't get).

If you post the letterwill part (usually at the end of the inventory) you might get some useful information from it.
Cheers,
Marlene
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 April 19 11:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Marlene, much appreciated. I am really grateful to have corroboration of the date of death and the name of his widow, which are the most important details.

Murehouse is a new one on me. There is no parish of Murehouse in Angus (Forfarshire) but it could be Murroes. I'll look into that.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.