Author Topic: George Bell Harvey bell /Joseph Wardman  (Read 2935 times)

Offline triode

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Bell Harvey bell /Joseph Wardman
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 May 19 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly ,
Thanks so much for your help. The info I have so far is that my father and grandfather were Harvey Foster Bell,my great Grandfather was George Bell who died when he was around 25. His wife Hannah remarried Hugh Nixon. My other great grandfather was Joseph Arundel Wardman ,I know all of this is correct as my Father used to talk about the Nixon’s. My father is no longer alive but his Sister Nancy is and confirmed everything I have so far is correct. She can’t remember her great grandfathers name. She lives in Vancouver. She is in her 80s now and I live in Australia. We were both born in Newcastle upon Tyne.
I am subscribed to heritage. Com and have over 1000 in my tree mainly on my wife’s side going back to Anne Boleyn and Henry the 8 th, but on my side , the Bells there are so many George bells from Carlisle I cant find the right one. I also use wikitree,ancestors.com,this forum and the links you gave me to help we proceed further. My Father used to say that Alexander Graham Bell was in our tree but I cant find a link anywhere to him. Your information has been extremely helpful to me thanks !

Offline triode

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 June 19 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly,
Having reread your info again and time up my sleeve I have had to rethink things and looking at the Timelines. My cousins are certain that George and Hannah are the parents on my Grandfather Harvey Foster but I am not so sure about this. They said he died in 1895 .I have been trying to do more research to see if there are some dates wrong somewhere. Haven’t come up with anything more as yet. Thanks for the info you have given me. I will see if I can find his headstone info on billiongraves.
Thanks
Cheers.
Terry

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 June 19 04:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry,

It's a very intriguing case - I look forward to updates, keep us posted!   ;D  ;D

It's pretty conclusive that Harvey BELL's mother was definitely Hannah nee FOSTER, who was:
   • Remarried to NIXON in 1901 (remarried as Hannah BELL, 1894)
   • Presenting as a young widow in 1891, with 3 sons:  born 1885, 1886, 1888.

* We can't find a marriage for her to a George BELL between 1881 and 1891.
* There is a widower George BELL in the right area in 1881.
* The widower may be the man who died 1890.

FIRST:
   • The birth certs of the 3 sons Fergus, Tom & Horace : to see what they say about their father.
   • The death cert  of George BELL in 1890, to see where he lived, who was the informant and hopefully, to see if he matches as the father of the 3 boys.
   • The Birth cert of Harvey.  To see what it says about his father, who is the informant etc.

If Hannah's husband is the man who died 1890, he is not the father of her son born 1893, Harvey - unless for some reason, Harvey's birth was registered very late. If the man who died 1890 is proven unrelated, the search continues but you'd still need the info from those birth certs, I reckon.

So I partly agree - that is, Harvey's mother is identified - but not the father.

Just curious as to who said George BELL died 1895?

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline triode

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 June 19 05:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly
I just had an email from my cousin in Canada that said George Bell died 2 months after my Grandfather Harvey Foster was born. Here the info of her email.

I got all my family history from Auntie Vi & Auntie Ruby in Newcastle, when I was there in 1980 for my first visit with my English relatives.  I wrote it all down, and still have my notes...

Hannah Foster
She grew up in  a farming family with all brothers ( don't know how many brothers ).  Her parents  died when she was very young.  She met George Bell; married him, and had 4 sons. Fergus, Thomas Guy, Horace, and Harvey.
Hannah was widowed at age 26.
She met and married Hugh Nixon, who was 66.
Hugh was a fish merchant and owned  shops.  His brothers were solicitors, but one brother owned a butcher shop in Brottan, Yorkshire.
Hannah and Hugh had 6 children together.
Hannah  died at age 57 in Gateshead.

George Bell was a gardener at Naworth Castle, and Hannah was a table maid.
George died 2 months after Harvey was born.

That's all the history I have...
But it still doesn’t line up with the info you have Ambly.
I really appreciate the info you have given me.
Thanks.
Cheers.
Terry

Offline triode

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 May 21 01:54 BST (UK) »
Just a closing to this thread.
I have found information that states Hanna Bell had 3 sons to George Bell. He died in 1891. She married Hugh Nixon in 1894. Hugh took on the 4 boys of Hannah’s and Harvey the youngest took on his name as Harvey Foster Nixon. I don’t believe Hugh is the father of Harvey and I don’t believe George to be his father either. So the Father is an unnamed person in between these two men. Maybe that’s why his birth certificate had bell on it as he is named after his mother’s name ! I have had a DNA test done and no where can I find Nixon’s or bells in the results but plenty of fosters and my mother and grandmothers sides !