Author Topic: False surnames, aliases, reasons for using on the census???  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: False surnames, aliases, reasons for using on the census???
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 April 19 17:19 BST (UK) »
Another reason for an alias was to differentiate people with the same name living in a parish.
Cowban

guest259648

« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 April 19 19:02 BST (UK) »
Another reason for an alias was to differentiate people with the same name living in a parish.
[/quot
Maiden Stone, that's a very good point. For example, in the acting profession, you're not permitted to use a name which is already taken, even if it's your own. (Hence David Jason/Del Boy = David White but he was blocked from using it). So if there was already a Henry Spurr in that Manchester district in a similar trade, 'my' Henry Spurr might wish to distinguish himself by using a different surname. Perfectly plausible, I like it. I will search, to see if it can be proved.

If this were the case, how would he choose the Sheppard? Out of thin air? Or is it most likely a family name?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 April 19 19:20 BST (UK) »
The use of alias surnames for distinguishing purposes is more typically found in rural communities where the same few families intermarried over many generations, resulting in most inhabitants sharing a handful of surnames. In family history it is particularly associated with pre-19th century Devon, with whole theses being written on the subject.

I suggest it is unlikely to be a factor in urban Manchester for a family carrying the relatively unusual, and non-local, surname of Spurr.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 April 19 19:29 BST (UK) »
I have a similar situation in my tree where for two generations my family used one surname on the census and an entirely different one for BMD events.  I managed to trace it back to an illegitimate birth, but not in the generation I was expecting.

However, I wonder if he could be connected to these baptisms at Sheffield Parish Church (info from Sheffield Indexers)

Samuel Spurr born 28 Oct 1818, Baptised 22 Nov 22, 1818. Parents Mary & Robert (Joiner).
John Spurr born 8 Feb 1821, Baptised 26 Aug 26, 1821.  Parents Mary & Robert (joiner).

Jomot, thank you so much... those are very useful possible leads, with a Robert Spurr as a joiner... I hadn't found these records... I will take a look.

The Sheffield Independent of 1 Sep 1821 mentions a Robert Spurr being taken from York Castle to the hulk Gannymead, to be transported for 7 years.  There is also a record of Robert Spurr, 25, Joiner born Sheffield aboard the Gannymead.  The Yorkshire Gazette 11 Aug 1821 carries a report of the trial (charged with breaking open the corn mill & counting house of Edward Jackson & Co at Greasborough, along with Wm Taylor 26, David Else 28 and John Steer 28)

Whether he was transported or not I don't know, but there is also a newspaper reference 1 March 1840 in The Charter mentioning a Robert Spurr, Carpenter living in New.court, King-street, Smithfield.  The article is headed Bethnal Green Chartists.

If Robert Spurr the Sheffield joiner was transported then obviously he couldn't be Henry's father, but if his wife Mary then had an illegitimate child with a Mr Shepherd it could maybe explain the two surnames :-\
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 April 19 19:44 BST (UK) »

Maybe it was just a Spurr of the moment thing??   ;D

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 April 19 19:48 BST (UK) »

Maybe it was just a Spurr of the moment thing??   ;D

;D ;D

Robert the joiner was transported with the others to VDL aboard the Richmond, so definitely can't be the biological father of Henry Spurr/Shepherd.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 April 19 20:14 BST (UK) »
That’s a great find re Robert Spurr.  I wonder whether Mary remarried, or simply got together with a Mr Shepherd.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 April 19 20:18 BST (UK) »
I think she married a William Marshall in Sheffield in 1828, which kind of puts a spoiler on things.  She was recorded as a widow, and he as a widower. 

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 April 19 20:25 BST (UK) »
Not a spoiler necessarily - she had had 7 years in between husbands.