Author Topic: Merchant Navy - Saltmarsh  (Read 1242 times)

Offline jjam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Merchant Navy - Saltmarsh
« on: Sunday 28 April 19 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have an ancestor who sailed on the SS Scholar.  However in the crew list where it states last ship served it states Co Saltmarsh.  Am I correct in thinking this was not a ship?  If not, can anyone tell me what and where this was please? 

Thank you. 
Bennett, De La Sierna/Serna, Farrow, Bunton

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy - Saltmarsh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 April 19 21:09 BST (UK) »
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 April 19 21:27 BST (UK) »
Could you tell us when your ancestor sailed on SCHOLAR. The Months/ Year when he was engaged and discharged. If possible, your ancestors rank.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline jjam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 13:19 BST (UK) »
Cathy  -  Yes it could well be that the entry says Eo Saltmarsh and not Co Saltmarsh as I first thought!  Thank you.

Seaweed  -  This particular journey was 16/11/12 - 31/12/12 from Liverpool and he was an Able Seaman.  Hope this helps.

Thank you both   :)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 14:00 BST (UK) »
Definitely E O SALTMARSH Official Number 118321. If you so desire. Her Crew Agreements for 1912 can be obtained here.
https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=118321
Be sure to ask for the Crew Agreement immediately prior to  16/11/1912 otherwise they will quote you for all her 1912 Crew Agreements.
If you want to find all of the ships he served on prior to E O SALTMARSH, ask MHA to try and trace his ships back as far as they can. They will charge accordingly.
https://www.mun.ca/mha/about/fees.php
Do you have any information as to wether or not he served as a Merchant Seaman in WW1?
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline jjam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 May 19 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Seaweed,

Thank you for the links, I shall take a look and see what I can find.  I do have a few crew lists from 1915 that show him on the Pontiac and Scholar and one that shows he was picked up at sea off Mizen head after their ship was torpedoed in Apr 2017.

His name was Alberto De La Sierna (although the crew lists have him as De Serna) born somewhere between 1862 and 1868. I have yet to find his Dis A Number anywhere