Author Topic: Facts that don't stack up & reading between lines - help me solve a mystery!  (Read 1096 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Facts that don't stack up & reading between lines - help me solve a mystery!
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 April 19 09:38 BST (UK) »

How did you find her? I'm using Ancestry and if I search for 'Florence Staniforth' and her birth year I get nothing! (I find the Ancestry search system pretty unreliable, to be honest).

Try just putting Florence L Staniforth and once you get results, have it only show Censuses from 1930's. 

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Facts that don't stack up & reading between lines - help me solve a mystery!
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 April 19 09:41 BST (UK) »
Ignore that last post. Anc isn't showing it, but FindMyPast is....

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 April 19 09:49 BST (UK) »
Anc has her under surname STAMFORTH. 

Offline lauralem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 29 April 19 10:32 BST (UK) »
Anc has her under surname STAMFORTH.

You're a legend! Thanks.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 29 April 19 11:29 BST (UK) »
Irrelevant, sidetrack query: Please, what's an "Heraldic Stamper"?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 29 April 19 11:34 BST (UK) »

A Stationer who embossed stationery witn family Crest.....

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 29 April 19 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I never knew that. (Filed)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 29 April 19 17:21 BST (UK) »

There was a theory that another descendent had that 'Kate' was actually Jane - and there are two Janes in the Richards family of Melksham that were cousins and born a couple of years apart, so would make sense if one of them had a nickname so as to avoid confusion. So I'm starting to think that the Jane living in Chelsea in the 1871 census that I originally thought was Florence's mum was actually her mum's cousin.

As Florence is the niece of Henry Richards, do you know his brother/s and families?

There is a marriage that might be worth looking at.
Free BMD

September 1870 London City 1c pg 159

John Adams and Jane Richards

It seems bizarre though with John being a middle name and Jane using Kate  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 29 April 19 17:48 BST (UK) »
The couple who married in 1870 may be the John Adams and Jane (both Welsh-born) who are lodging in Westminster in 1871 with one-month old daughter Lizzey M (Lizzey Margaret Adams birth reg with mmn Richards, St Geo Han Sq Jun qtr 1871). 

1871: RG10/124/46/35

They have moved back to Wales by 1881.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)