Author Topic: Facts that don't stack up & reading between lines - help me solve a mystery!  (Read 5494 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Facts that don't stack up & reading between lines - help me solve a mystery!
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 April 19 09:38 BST (UK) »

How did you find her? I'm using Ancestry and if I search for 'Florence Staniforth' and her birth year I get nothing! (I find the Ancestry search system pretty unreliable, to be honest).

Try just putting Florence L Staniforth and once you get results, have it only show Censuses from 1930's. 

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Facts that don't stack up & reading between lines - help me solve a mystery!
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 April 19 09:41 BST (UK) »
Ignore that last post. Anc isn't showing it, but FindMyPast is....

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 April 19 09:49 BST (UK) »
Anc has her under surname STAMFORTH. 

Offline lauralem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 29 April 19 10:32 BST (UK) »
Anc has her under surname STAMFORTH.

You're a legend! Thanks.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 29 April 19 11:29 BST (UK) »
Irrelevant, sidetrack query: Please, what's an "Heraldic Stamper"?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 29 April 19 11:34 BST (UK) »

A Stationer who embossed stationery witn family Crest.....

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 29 April 19 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I never knew that. (Filed)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 29 April 19 17:21 BST (UK) »

There was a theory that another descendent had that 'Kate' was actually Jane - and there are two Janes in the Richards family of Melksham that were cousins and born a couple of years apart, so would make sense if one of them had a nickname so as to avoid confusion. So I'm starting to think that the Jane living in Chelsea in the 1871 census that I originally thought was Florence's mum was actually her mum's cousin.

As Florence is the niece of Henry Richards, do you know his brother/s and families?

There is a marriage that might be worth looking at.
Free BMD

September 1870 London City 1c pg 159

John Adams and Jane Richards

It seems bizarre though with John being a middle name and Jane using Kate  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 29 April 19 17:48 BST (UK) »
The couple who married in 1870 may be the John Adams and Jane (both Welsh-born) who are lodging in Westminster in 1871 with one-month old daughter Lizzey M (Lizzey Margaret Adams birth reg with mmn Richards, St Geo Han Sq Jun qtr 1871). 

1871: RG10/124/46/35

They have moved back to Wales by 1881.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)