Author Topic: Looking for Henry Edward Brookes b. c 1822  (Read 407 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Henry Edward Brookes b. c 1822
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 April 19 19:29 BST (UK) »
There's a transcription on FindMyPast of his entry in a list of emigration applicants but it looking at it again there is very little information and it doesn't say "groom".  My memory was clearly faulty on that score.

According to http://passengersinhistory.sa.gov.au/node/577539 the passenger list of the Fairlie lists him as a bank messenger and policeman.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 05:07 BST (UK) »
I have the 1836-1841 Emigrant Register on cd and this was listed as follows:-
BROOKES H E (Henry Edward) Applic no. 7715; Emb. no. 4383; age 19; Occ. groom.

Quite possibly he was a groom for the gentleman who provided the letter of introduction.

Essie

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline sueappleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 08:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Shaun J!  I was told that Henry had been a groom by a fourth cousin who is the great great grandson of HEB. I don't know where he got that information, but you will note the post by Essie below yours.

Re Henry being recorded as a policeman and bank messenger, I think this information may have been added retrospectively, as these were jobs he held in Adelaide, as per his obituary.

Regards, Sue.
Moss, White, Bray, Scott, Raymond, Randell, Underdown, Squire, Herring, Brooks, Mugg, Hopping, McInnes, Fleming, Fairchild, Polkinghorn(e),Hicks, Glasson,

Offline sueappleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Essie, thank you very much for this information.  Very useful to have that confirmed. We have thought the same thing about Henry's possible employment as a groom for a "connected" family in England.
Moss, White, Bray, Scott, Raymond, Randell, Underdown, Squire, Herring, Brooks, Mugg, Hopping, McInnes, Fleming, Fairchild, Polkinghorn(e),Hicks, Glasson,

Offline sueappleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 12:39 BST (UK) »
I have now seen an extract from Henry's emigration application which says that in 1840 he was employed as a groom in London at "5 Northumberland Street, Strand".  I thought that this may have been the address of an aristocratic family, as it would have at least been in the vicinity of Northumberland House.  I have done a bit of searching online and have not been able to find the specific location of Northumberland House on Northumberland St, but it looks as though it was a huge property on a relatively short street.

Can anyone comment on this?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 12:57 BST (UK) »
In the 1841 London PO Directory, 5 Northumberland Street was the address of Thomas Chalmers & Co, coal merchants, and also Lieut. Thomas Chalmers.

Offline sueappleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you again, Shaun!   

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 13:53 BST (UK) »
Ad from February 1840:

Offline sueappleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 14:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks again!  I also found a reference in Google Books to Lt Thomas Chalmers of that address, a bill broker and coal merchant, being brought up before the insolvency court in March 1837. I attempted to post it as an attachment but it failed due to not being an allowed file type.  Being inexperienced in this forum I did not know another way to do so.