Author Topic: Helen D Howell (1896), brother James E Howell (1900) School photo taken 1905  (Read 684 times)

Offline christine56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Does anyone recognise the location of this photo (likely to be London, could be Liverpool)? Inscription on rear cut off corner reads "*** een / 905".

Helen Dellah Howell aged 9 y 7 m (2nd row down, 7th from left), James Edward Howell (bottom row, 3rd from right), aged 5 y 6 m. Their ages and *905, date this photo to June 1905.

In 1901 the family lived at 89 Chippenham Road, Paddington, London. In 1911, at 30 Ridley Road, Kensington, Liverpool, Lancashire. I do not know when they moved from London to Liverpool.

Or can anyone help with the name of a likely school in the catchment area of these addresses and suggest where I could find school records for any potential location?

Many thanks for your help on this,
Christine

Online Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Helen D Howell (1896), brother James E Howell (1900) School photo taken 1905
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 April 19 11:20 BST (UK) »
Did the family have children born between 1901 and 1911? **

If so you could look up where they were born to narrow down a date for the move from London to Liverpool.

** answering my own question, no I see they didn't  :(

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline christine56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Helen D Howell (1896), brother James E Howell (1900) School photo taken 1905
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 April 19 11:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your prompt reply Milliepede. A super tip and understand what you mean, but I know that all three children, (Helen D as a middle child, older brother Herbert A 1891, younger brother James E 1900) were born in Paddington. Ties in with family photos, anecdotes and censuses. On the 1901 census, the family were in Paddington, in 1911 in Liverpool but I can't verify where they lived in 1905. Most likely to be London, but just a guess. Could it be Kensal Green, Paddington Green according to the -een? Or is there an -een region in Liverpool? (Couldn't find anything near Kensington, Liverpool which might give a clue). Who knows, somebody might just recognise the photo and put a clue as to the location. Would be glad to have any tips since I don't live in the UK. Thanks all, Christine

Online Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 April 19 20:16 BST (UK) »
It's a pity the board at the front the girl is holding doesn't have the name and location written on it  :(

Could you maybe post the bit at the back that has the partial wording on please? 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 April 19 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine....You could try a google images match as this won't be the only copy. If you don't know how to do it...go to google images and type in something like "School group London 1905" press the camera icon on the right in the google images search box, upload the school photo from your computer and see what image matches you get...you may need to refine your search terms to get more matches.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Christine...I took a few spots off and gave it a brighten up in case you wanted to put it on Facebook.

This might help, although it might prove tedious going through the alphabet...there are some photos available to:

http://www.liverpool-schools.co.uk/html/l.html

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline christine56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 May 19 05:21 BST (UK) »
Wow! That makes such a difference! Thank you Treetotal. Have already checked Google images in all variations. I am not up on FB but can give it a go. Are there particular groups or something.

Millipede. I replied yesterday with the back of the photo, but it hasn't shown up in the thread so I'll try again. The photo is glued onto cardboard, probably to frame it. I tried peeling it off thinking my grandmother would have written on the back of the photo. That proved a tad risky ...

Thanks for the list of Liverpool schools. I will check them out.
Christine

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 May 19 10:27 BST (UK) »

www3.westminster.gov.uk/docstores/publications_store/archives/schools.pdf

Scroll down the pdf for Paddington

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 May 19 11:25 BST (UK) »
Just to say hope you find the answer!