Author Topic: can you read this dockyard occupation??  (Read 3660 times)

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
Re: can you read this dockyard occupation??
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 April 19 18:02 BST (UK) »
I think this could be read as Independent: pension from the dockyards.

Independent is usually enumerated as "Independent means".
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 21:32 BST (UK) »
Pension records for the Royal Dockyards  do exist at the National Archives.

Is John his son?  Given that he was a blacksmith, Samuel may well have been too.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 08:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for these additional comments. I did not know there were pension records from the Dockyard at the NA. Always something new to learn!
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline Richard A Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 20:56 BST (UK) »
I think this could be read as Independent: pension from the dockyards.

While a pension does imply some degree of independent means, I don't think that's what the abbreviation "Ind" in the entry is saying.  The "Ind" comes between the words "from" and "dockyard".  Possibly it means some independent dockyard, but more likely, I think, Hallmark is right in suggesting it means the India Dockyard.  I'm not aware of a dock in Hampshire with that name, though I'm no expert, but I wonder whether it refers to the East or West India Docks in London.  Do you know whether Samuel lived in London at any time?

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 22:03 BST (UK) »
Not as far as I am aware. The family seem to have moved from Somerset to Portsmouth, and were then employed at the Dockyard. There is no India Dock in Hampshire as far as I know, and I think 'Ind' in this case (which was clearly first written by itself by the census taker) meant 'independent means' and the reference to the pension was then written in by way of extra explanation.
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 23:47 BST (UK) »
Could it be Ind(ustrial) Dockyard?

"Portsmouth has the world's oldest dry dock. In the sixteenth century, Portsmouth was England's first line of defence during the French invasion of 1545. By the early nineteenth century, the world's first mass production line was set up in Portsmouth Dockyard's Block Mills, making it the most industrialised site in the world and birthplace of the Industrial Revolution"

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 00:25 BST (UK) »
Could it be Ind(ustrial) Dockyard?

"Portsmouth has the world's oldest dry dock. In the sixteenth century, Portsmouth was England's first line of defence during the French invasion of 1545. By the early nineteenth century, the world's first mass production line was set up in Portsmouth Dockyard's Block Mills, making it the most industrialised site in the world and birthplace of the Industrial Revolution"

Annie

Taking this occupation away from the docks - Ind usually means "Industrial" when found on others occupations in censuses - so I tend to agree with Rosinish here . . .

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 06:19 BST (UK) »
This is the 1841 census.  There was an official list of occupation abbreviations attached to the enumerators' instructions, common ones being 'lab' and 'ag lab'.

'Ind' is the official abbreviation for 'independent means' such as pensions, annuities, and inherited money.  It's what we would now call 'unearned income'.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 06:41 BST (UK) »
Look to see how other people on the pages around his census entry are recorded - there are 'Dock Yard P', 'navy p' and there are 'Ind', his does look different, but because amended?