Author Topic: Shears Inn, Hightown, Liversedge.  (Read 863 times)

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shears Inn, Hightown, Liversedge.
« on: Monday 29 April 19 15:58 BST (UK) »
Somewhere in the news, - papers or whatever, this weekend, The Shears Inn, Liversedge, caught my eye. (I lived in Heckmondwike in the early 1960s.)  It is planned to demolish the Inn and build houses on the site !!! :(  From living in that area I learned it was the beginnings of The Luddites. and that the Shears Inn was their meeting point.
An absolute shame that such an historic building should be destroyed.

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Shears Inn, Hightown, Liversedge.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 05:29 BST (UK) »
I don't think history is a consideration where some councils are concerned when building houses is a priority, but a listed building is a different 'kettle of fish', it should make sure that all considerations have been checked before any demolition is an option to a property.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-48076753
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 17:00 BST (UK) »
dobfarm, Thanks for your post.  I also looked at the link and found it very interesting.  I do not think I ever visited The Shears, but quite a lot more of the pubs in that area - Heckmondwike, etc.  When I first arrived in the town, "What have I let myself in for ?"  Fogs in winter, which lasted 3-4-5 days. A town full of chapels and churches, and of course mills.  After about 3 years there I was sorry to leave.  And that is a true comment and admission.

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 21:45 BST (UK) »
If the pub demolition happens, then its fits with what many people think or have thought for years about council elections, that none of the councilor candidates look educated enough (ie:- history lessons at school) to hold the position as a councilor !! and don't bother voting for them. Hence low turn outs at council elections.

;D ;D ;D 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth