Author Topic: Batstone in Wales, America, South Africa and Germany?  (Read 224 times)

Offline hunkyhywel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Batstone in Wales, America, South Africa and Germany?
« on: Monday 29 April 19 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I'm looking for more info on this fella if you can help me? I have some data on his time in UK but cant find anything about his time abroad...

Albert Edward Batstone
Born in 1915 in Cardiff to James J Batstone and Emily (Roberts).
He married Marjorie N Botherton in Cardiff in 1940.
He disappears.
Marjorie remarried in 1972.

Family lore maintained that he divorced Marjorie and moved to America and South Africa before dying in Germany.
I know no facts about his time outside of the UK, can any of you help?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Batstone in Wales, America, South Africa and Germany?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 02:44 BST (UK) »
Was Marjorie's middle name "Noel" or Noelle"?

1944: Ship "SS Mauretania", arrived Boston Mass, 19 June 1944 ,out of Liverpool 25th May)
Albert E BATSONE aged 29, male, married, 3rd Engineer, British, Welsh, born Cardiff
Wife: Noel Batstone of 42 Hunter Street, Cardiff
Visa issued: 22 May 1944
Who paid for passage: MOWT
Had been to US before in 1942, to New York
5', 10", Fair complexion, Brown Hair & Eyes

1942:  Ship "D L HARPER"  - Arrived New York 3 July 1942 (out of Bristol)
Edward BATSTONE, 27,  Jnr 3rd Engineer, Engaged 12 June 1942 at Avonmouth
Length of Service at Sea: 3 yrs
To be discharged on arrival: No
5'10", 160 Llb
PP 9027049

On 23 Aug 1942, still a Jnr 3rd Engineer on the D L Harper, he arrived in New York, out of Aruba.
He's gained 2 years (now 29) gained an " height (now 5'11"), lost a couple pounds (now 158Llb)
Still called just "Edward', still PP 9027049 and now described as British / Welsh.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 03:23 BST (UK) »
I found that yes, she was Marjorie Noelle YATES nee BROTHERTON b 29 Sep 1918, died 1992.

So...the address she was at (as found above, and which Albert Edward was at in 1944) was 42 Hunter Street Cardiff.....

And find:

1947: Ship "Warwick Castle" , departed Southampton on 3 July 1947 for South Africa
Tourist Class. To Disembark Capetown
Mr A E BATSTONE, aged 44,
Of 42 Hunter Street Cardiff, Engineer.
Last Residence Wales. Intending to stay in South Africa.

This age 44 infers DoB about 1903. I did perhaps wonder if the 1947 manifest was wrong  and he was in fact 34.....except that I also found:

1955: Ship "Capetown Castle" , departed Southampton on 24 Nov 1955 for South Africa
Mr E BATSTONE, Engineer,  DoB 23 Jun 1904.
Address in UK: 81 Beath Villa Gardens, Ilford. English.
Intending to stay in SA.

Hmmm

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 17:26 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this is your man.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=batstone%20a&_cr=bt372&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv
This a "Seamans Pouch"which may contain the following
 Records relating to individual seamen filed together in a pouch. These documents may include application forms (most with a photograph of the seaman), certificates, identity cards, cessation documents and notifications of death.

The contents of any particular pouch, however, may cover any period starting after 1913 and ending up to c2002. When seamen were discharged some or all of their documents (including the index cards) were placed in the pouches and these include discharges of seamen who were originally registered in the Central Index Register of 1913 to 1941.
If you think it is him.
His form CRS 10 which will tell you which ships he served on together with dates and places of engagement and discharge. Depending how long his sea service lasted it may be in one of two places,

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_cr=bt382%2F2072&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv
or
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_cr=bt382%2F94&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv
For security reasons.You would be advised to visit Kew to view the CRS 10's.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

Offline hunkyhywel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hey these are great! Thank you both so much! AMBLY, do you know where I might be able to see scans of the original manifests?