Author Topic: Who is Goot Choy?  (Read 579 times)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Who is Goot Choy?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 May 19 03:32 BST (UK) »
The Chinese names could be Anglicised versions of the real thing, like ‘sounds like’.  It’s a been a real issue for me when trying to work out Chinese Migration in Australian Goldfields in the 1850’s.

Can you obtain their marriage certificate if they were actually married.

Bitzar.

I've thought that myself...thinking maybe Kot or Goot was a sound for Coutes or Coutts or even Coates. But then there's the Choy part? I'm stumped. I somehow doubt they were officially married if she was Asian. The other possibility is that she was a missionary or daughter of one but maybe still half Asian
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 May 19 09:27 BST (UK) »
Who I wonder was Lo Fook Chah who is named in Anna's entry in the burial register ?

https://gwulo.com/atom/26106/zoom
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 May 19 09:40 BST (UK) »
It seems to be the burial of Lo Fook Chah Laurente, age 4, 18 March 1937, on the next page
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nqm/

The cemetery register on FamilySearch - a wonderful find by Brian.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 May 19 11:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clearing that up, jonw65!

Regarding Goot/Kot Choy, the Chinese custom is to have the family name first, then the given names, so Goot or Kot would be the family name in this case, not Choy. Apologies if I am stating the obvious.
Anglicised to Coute(s) ?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 May 19 18:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clearing that up, jonw65!

Regarding Goot/Kot Choy, the Chinese custom is to have the family name first, then the given names, so Goot or Kot would be the family name in this case, not Choy. Apologies if I am stating the obvious.
Anglicised to Coute(s) ?
No apologies needed Shaun. I was aware of that but it gets confusing when I see the other names the right way round. I've actually just found the name "Kot" used in a document...a person named Kot Tang Shi, with a surprising number of very close parallels to my Kot Choy. They lived in the same area, at the same time, died in the same year, shared the same land, IL119 ( J ) and mine was IL119 (F) Kotwall ( Kotewall ) was one of the families.
Shelley Street, Old Bailey, Elgin, Staunton, Hollywood Road etc all seem to be an area with a very mixed ethnic make-up. Lots of Portuguese and Parsee people. Ironically, Kot Tang Shi had an alias of "Anna" and my Anna Hunter, had an alias of "Kot"
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley