Author Topic: Vernon Industrial School information help  (Read 3326 times)

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vernon Industrial School information help
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hi JM
I did try my local member with no result.
So I am still trying to work out how to construct the story of Esther and the children.
It appears their father died in QLD in 1893- I am waiting on documents from QLD archives to confirm & hopefully give more detail but I am assuming he did not get the children back between 1888 and 1893...

JM I might re try Dept of Correctional services....Or would there be court records for her convictions in Coonamble that could be accessed??

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 06:34 BST (UK) »
Ok so this is interesting.....

I have obtained insanity records- which say very little; inquest records and then a subsequent death certificate for George Creighton in Toowoomba QLD in June 1893.

It would appear he was reported to the police in 1892, picked up and taken to the Hospital for the insane with a diagnosis of dementia. Record states good condition of body, insane of mind.

His death certificate informant is the steward from the Hospital, and states his parents, his birthplace of Wakefield England, his spouse as Esther Taylor whom he married in Coonamble (age unknown) and lists all his children- George Hector, Emily jane, Edith, George Richard and Sarah, but states no ages for the children. Further statement under childrens names says not known if living or deceased.

So my question is- if George had dementia when he was admitted to the hospital, was he still of fit enough mind to have been able to provide them with those family details? Or how else could they have obtained them to provide on his death certificate??  And would the hospital have contacted his family to notify them he had been admitted?

It states he is buried in Toowoomba cemetery- who would have paid for that? Who would have paid his hospital fees?

As far as I know, the Creighton children were removed from their mother in May 1888- George was in Toowoomba in 1892 to be admitted to the hospital. Could that be where he was working at the time of his children's removal? And if so, would he have been contacted/ could he have been notified?

I now know where the father of this family ended up, but seem to have even more questions than before now.

Can anyone tell me more about how admissions to hospitals of the insane worked, and how this situation might have evolved regarding his family?

The plot continues to thicken it seems.....

Kylie  :-\

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 06:54 BST (UK) »
The details about his origins, marriage and children of the marriage may well have been written on a document/s that he carried with his personal belongings... hospital attendant may have accessed that on admission.

I dont have much knowledge of Qld hospital records,  but good body condition suggests to me that he was still physically fit ... so likely still working outdoors, 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 06:57 BST (UK) »
Re fees etc ..... 

He may have had cash on him ... check the hospital admissions and inquest ....

Burials  ..what denomination as per the d.c. or cemetery index  ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi JM
There is not much info in the hospital record, but there is a reply letter from a Rev Drew- Church of England, dated a few months after he was admitted, stating that he cannot provide further information on the man George Creighton than 'the papers afford that accompanied him'. So perhaps that was the source of the info on the death certificate, which in fairness was remarkably detailed.

Burial was Church of England.

I am looking at Trove and there seem to be quite a few mentions of a George Creighton in the area- a 'young man' being struck by lightening there prior to the marriage date to Esther, and then a mention of him being picked up and admitted to the lunatic asylum.

I will keep looking but would be grateful for anyone's suggestions or advice!
Kylie

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 09:24 BST (UK) »
I wonder how many chaps named George CREIGHTON were in the Toowoomba district in 1892/3

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/217675316  6 June 1893 Toowoomba Chronicle
Toowoomba Hospital, this chap died of a Stomach bleed.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/217677536 20 May 1893 Toowoomba Chronicle
likely the funeral for the chap mentioned above
Notice that the Lodge inserted one of the notices, so likely the lodge would have the member's funeral funds at hand.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/217673105 16 Sept 1893 Toowoomba Chronicle
notice this is for a Geo Henry CREIGHTON, removing his name from the electoral roll,

So if the above chap is YOUR chap, he had a middle name and he was on the electoral roll, and he had Lodge membership.     You may find that the Lodge knew the names of the children, and perhaps some of them were in care with Lodge members OR Lodge children's homes located anywhere in Qld or NSW ...

https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/ref/qld/biogs/QE00110b.htm 
MUIOOF Manchester Unity Independent Order of Odd Fellows...

http://archival.sl.nsw.gov.au/Details/archive/110345548
NSW State Library, Macquarie St, Sydney, has a huge collection of MUIOOF archives. 

JM

Offline Kylie B

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi JM
Have checked those out- the death on 6 June was in Toowoomba hospital, which must be different from the 'lunatic asylum', and the funeral notice for the member of the Lodge was before this death in May, again from the hospital though.

And my George Creighton died on 17 June 1893.

So it would seem there were at least 3!! George Creighton's in Toowoomba, who all died in May-June 1893. Now that IS weird!

But it means my George was not the member of the Lodge, so those records seemingly are unlikely to help. And it means it is going to be very difficult to determine if any other articles in Toowoomba are in fact about my George, or one of these many others...

My George's death states Congestion of the brain 1yr + (I assume that is their description of dementia) and congestion of the lungs- few days. The inquest describes him as suffering a series of convulsions and then being unresponsive, receiving his food and medicines via injection and then dying several days later.

Not sure where to now....I am still waiting on correctional services, local family history society, national library, state archives, Coonamble library all of whom I have contacted trying to find out more info about Esther.

Kylie

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 10:15 BST (UK) »
I think they are for just the ONE person... the Qld BDM online index has just one chap dying in Qld in 1893, by the surname CREIGHTON.  It is for a George CREIGHTON, father as Joseph Creighton and mother as Sarah Hepworth, and is referenced C1433.

https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSearch/querySubmit.m?v=DeathSearch_error

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 10:53 BST (UK) »
The 6 June is the report from the hospital for the month of May....

The funeral may well have been held before the inquest's decision was forwarded to complete the formal registration of the death ... look carefully over the d.c.  for every date recorded o  it,

including

date of death

Date of burial

Date of inquest

Date of registration

JM