Author Topic: Adoption Certificate DoB  (Read 9066 times)

Offline Chef_Hendrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption Certificate DoB
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 16:31 BST (UK) »

... I don't know the answer but why not contact The National Records of Scotland Adoption Unit. A call or an email will hopefully get you this answer www.nrscotland.gov.uk/registration/adoption

Monica

I have had a nice reply from the email I sent which answered my original question and also suggested I contact the Sheriff Court for further info. Does anyone know if anyone has a made a successful request to the court before? This potentially could answer all my questions!

Thank you for your enquiry. The date of birth of your Gran will be that which is stated on the extract from the Adopted Childrens Register. The adoption order we receive from the court which instructs us to register the adoption quotes the birth date of the child, referencing the original registered birth entry, which we check and confirm is correct.

As your Gran has passed you can make an application to the Sheriff at Aberdeen Sheriff Court to view the Adoption Court Process papers. Within the file should be a copy of her original birth certificate which will assist you with your family research. It should be noted that permission is at the discretion of the Sheriff and is not always granted
Renner, Benton, Waugh, Smith, Walsh, McLeod, McKenzie, Davidson, Hall, Ross, Sinnott, Keith, Reid, Cattanach, Cuckoo

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 16:44 BST (UK) »
If the situation is that your Gran has passed but her son (your Dad) is still alive, he can write to the Court to request that he see her adoption papers and the reasons for so requesting. As NRS said, it will be placed before a Sheriff and he or she will decide whether to allow him to see them or not on production of ID. If you are coming to the Borders in Scotland, you could try (may of course not be granted) writing to the nearest Sheriff Court to where you will be staying with that request.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 17:38 BST (UK) »
If I were you I would get the process started as soon as possible. Probably your dad would be the best person to make the application as he would be considered your late gran's next of kin.

Send it to The Sheriff at Aberdeen as instructed as they obviously hold the records of her adoption.

Sorry, no idea how many applications have been successful but good luck and keep us up to date.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 May 19 22:13 BST (UK) »
That is really positive. You can now be certain on the date.

Great advice they have given you, to contact Aberdeen Sheriff Court and make enquiries. You have nothing to lose for sure  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 11:17 BST (UK) »
Actually, the Sheriff Courts do not hold the Adoption Records :( they are all held in Edinburgh and have to be requested as they are sealed processes.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline Chef_Hendrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 15:54 BST (UK) »
Another positive reply in an email, this time from the Sheriff Courts.

In order to further consider your request please could you provide a copy of your grandmother’s death certificate and proof of your link to the adoption, for example, copies of both your own and your fathers birth certificates.

Once provided with same the Sheriff will consider your request.  If granted you will require to attend at a Sheriff Court in Scotland in order to view same.

Unfortunately my Dad is away from home at the moment so will have to wait a few more days before I can send off his Birth Certificate.
Renner, Benton, Waugh, Smith, Walsh, McLeod, McKenzie, Davidson, Hall, Ross, Sinnott, Keith, Reid, Cattanach, Cuckoo

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 17:38 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant news.

Another step forward.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Chef_Hendrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 16:48 BST (UK) »
Well that's all the requested documents sent off for the Sheriffs approval, fingers crossed and i'll keep you updated!

Gaz

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 16:50 BST (UK) »
We will hold our breath and cross our fingers with you  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk