Author Topic: Brick Wall: Thomas Webb  (Read 6052 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall: Thomas Webb
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 16:56 BST (UK) »
Probably a red herring ;D
Eliza Carey, housekeeper to Henry Webb in Bedminster in 1891. I think they married in 1892
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:WR4F-Q3Z

What was the occupation of your Mr Webb? we can see that in 1939!

They had children including a George, baptised in Bedminster in November 1893, but he may be the George Webb whose death aged 2 was registered in Bedminster, Mar qtr 1896.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline TheOnlyRogueAngel

• RootsChat Member
  • Bringing order to utter chaos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 20:28 BST (UK) »
@Jonw65.. Wow.! That's fantastic... Raymond Carey Webb... now that's a new name..   ;) I shall have to find him and see where it leads... Thank you.

Driving without a license... it figures...  ;D

@heywood.. Thank you for the death record... I'd always been told she died before I was born.. but I was 9 when she passed. :(

Thank you all, for all your help.  8)

Cawlbeck, Colbeck, Colbrook, Colebeck, Colebrook, Colebrooke, Coulbeck, Cowlbeck [UK, USA, NZ, Australia, Canada] Hamer [South Yorkshire, UK], Lucas [Cardiff & Gloucestershire, UK] Pennell [UK], Speed [UK], Udall, Udell [UK & USA], Webb [Staffordshire, Dorset, UK], Foot, Foote [Dorset, UK].

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 May 19 13:10 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately.. Raymond Carey Webb appears to be yet another alias my great-grandfather used. As other than what has already been found, I can find no BMD records for anyone with that name, anywhere.  :(
Cawlbeck, Colbeck, Colbrook, Colebeck, Colebrook, Colebrooke, Coulbeck, Cowlbeck [UK, USA, NZ, Australia, Canada] Hamer [South Yorkshire, UK], Lucas [Cardiff & Gloucestershire, UK] Pennell [UK], Speed [UK], Udall, Udell [UK & USA], Webb [Staffordshire, Dorset, UK], Foot, Foote [Dorset, UK].

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 May 19 15:22 BST (UK) »
Just bookmarking as I find this one fascinating :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 August 20 20:18 BST (UK) »
An Update.... Thanks to @Jonw65, I discovered that Raymond Carey Webb was the name of choice, amongst all the others. Raymond Carey Webb is the name on my grandfather's birth certificate. Although that's not the name on his baptismal record. A Raymond Carey Webb registered to vote in 1931 in Poole, Dorset. Then there's the driving offence in 1932. In 1939 Raymond Carey Webb is in Parkstone, with a birth year of 1893.

So... going with Raymond Webb b.1893 I found a Raymond born in Brinkworth, Wiltshire. Who died in 1964 in Chippenham, Wiltshire. He married Daisy May Carey, who died in 1974 and had two children born 1922 and 1924. My grandfather was born in 1928, so there is a chance.

I'm not sure about the Raymond Charles Webb born in late 1892, who died in 1955, as my mother was born in 1952 and she says she remembers her grandfather at a much older age. These are the only two Raymond Webb's born around 1893.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 August 20 13:31 BST (UK) »
Is this the marriage for your Raymond?

Marriages Jun 1918   
Carey    Daisy M    Webb    Malmesbury    5a   109   
Webb    Raymond    Carey    Malmesbury    5a   109

Living in Malmesbury in 1939, Raymond's birth year given as 1891.  Do you have any marriage certificate for your Raymond?  If so who is down as his father?
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 August 20 14:23 BST (UK) »
@Girl Guide: Quite possibly.

That Raymond was actually born in 1893 in Brinkworth, Wiltshire. His parents were Frederick and Ellen. I'm leaning more towards him, with no other avenue to investigate other than whether he was a good man loyal to his wife or whether there was a possibility that he strayed and met my great grandmother and had 5 more children.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 August 20 16:42 BST (UK) »
I'm a little puzzled as to why the 1955 deaths are on free bmd but not on the GRO website.  They have Percival James but not Raymond and Thomas.

Birth year works out as 1892 but 1891 if died before the actual birth date.

So the 1939 Raymond with Daisy in Malmesbury is a different one to the Raymond with Doreen in Poole?
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 August 20 17:13 BST (UK) »
@Girl Guide.. It looks that way, yes... which leaves me right back at square one... because there is no other Raymond that it could be.

This going with the assumption that his name really is Raymond..  ???