Author Topic: Brick Wall: Thomas Webb  (Read 6056 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall: Thomas Webb
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 14:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks to a very kind lady on the OPC Dorset site, I have a birth date of January 16th 1893 from the 1939 Directory and a death year of 1955 at Weston Super Mare, Somerset for Raymond Carey Webb.

I already flagged up the Weston Super Mare death.
But I thought your later post (Reply #13) indicated that you had got the cert and that it was a Raymond Charles?

I'm not sure about the Raymond Charles Webb born in late 1892, who died in 1955, as my mother was born in 1952 and she says she remembers her grandfather at a much older age.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 24 September 20 05:17 BST (UK) »
Here is a head scratcher for you.

Marriages Dec qtr 1915

SIDDONS,    Nellie M   
WEBB,    Thomas H   
Walsall    6b   1749

Births Sep qtr 1916   
WEBB, ARTHUR  BERNARD MUSGROVE (SIDDONS)     
GRO Reference: 1916  S Quarter in WALSALL  Volume 06B  Page 1241

There's a Webb death in Weston super Mare under two lots of first names?
June 1955 Weston 7c 263
Webb, Raymond C., age 63
Webb, Thomas H., age 63

I've just received the birth certificate for my grandfather's younger brother, hoping to glean a little more information considering the mother's maiden name was wrong on the BMD record.

Father's name has been recorded as Thomas Raymond Webb, and mother's name as Doreen Nellie Webb, nee Siddons. Father's occupation is Ice Cream Salesman.

The 1939 Register has Doreen's middle initials as 'E.M.' with an 'L' added later.  Nellie is a pet form of Ellen.  Doreen cannot be the same person as the Nellie SIDDONS who married in 1915 as she was only 9 years old then, but is the Thomas H. your Raymond?  Did he have two women at the same time,  your Doreen and his wife Nellie or were they for some reason pretending that Doreen and Nellie were the same person?

Nellie is in Walsall in 1939 and her surname was corrected at the time I think, not later changed.  Note that the household continues over two pages with other pages in between.

The children's births:

1928 Male (UDALL)  Bournemouth
1930 Female (UDALL) Sturminster
1932 Female (UDALL) Sturminster
1933 Male (SIDDONS) Poole (with Raymond and Doreen in 1939)
1938 Male (UDALL) Poole
1939 Male (SIDDONS) Poole
1942 Female (UDALL) Poole

Debra  :)

Offline TheOnlyRogueAngel

• RootsChat Member
  • Bringing order to utter chaos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 24 September 20 08:46 BST (UK) »
@Johnhood, duly noted. Jan, Jun... easily mistaken. Thank you so much for the new children too. I'd only looked previously for the five we knew about.

@jonw65, you did indeed, but because the middle name was Charles, and my mother was sure she remembered her grandfather after 1955, I kept that one on the back burner. She's currently in talks with the remaining aunt to try to see what, if anything she remembers.

@Dundee,  :o Thank you. I hadn't gone back that far with the marriages because of Doreen's age, and I've been looking at the Thomas's born in 1893 (going through them one at a time) and am yet to find this link. It's certainly a good match... Doreen would definitely be too young by 1915, and why on earth she'd take on his wife's name is beyond me, but this is the closest to finding out who he really is that I've gotten. The deaths were noted... but it turned out Raymond's middle name was Charles, and Carey could well be a shortening of it, but then we weren't entirely convinced his name was Raymond. And if your name is Thomas Henry(Harry), why would you use Raymond Carey..?

I'll certainly order the certificates and try to figure this one out.
Cawlbeck, Colbeck, Colbrook, Colebeck, Colebrook, Colebrooke, Coulbeck, Cowlbeck [UK, USA, NZ, Australia, Canada] Hamer [South Yorkshire, UK], Lucas [Cardiff & Gloucestershire, UK] Pennell [UK], Speed [UK], Udall, Udell [UK & USA], Webb [Staffordshire, Dorset, UK], Foot, Foote [Dorset, UK].

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 24 September 20 09:02 BST (UK) »
Are you saying you already have a Jun qtr 1955 Weston super Mare death certificate for a Raymond Charles Webb aged 63? If so, what other information does it give?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 24 September 20 09:20 BST (UK) »
Quote:

Marriages Dec qtr 1915

SIDDONS,    Nellie M   
WEBB,    Thomas H   
Walsall    6b   1749

Births Sep qtr 1916   
WEBB, ARTHUR  BERNARD MUSGROVE (SIDDONS)     
GRO Reference: 1916  S Quarter in WALSALL  Volume 06B  Page 1241

1901 census

Piece:   2703
Folio:   20
Page Number:   32
Household Schedule Number:   186
Household Members:   
Name   Age
Henry Siddons   42
Sophie Siddons   38
May S Siddons   16
Arthur M Siddons   14
Nellie M Siddons   10
George E Siddons   5

Cannot give details re 1939 but look for Arthur Siddons and see who is living with him.

John

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 24 September 20 09:26 BST (UK) »
Arthur's death

Arthur Bernard M Webb d aged 75, born 14 Jul 1916
Death registered Apr 1992 Birmingham RD
Volume:   32

John

Edit , there is a probate record for Arthur as well.

Possible marriage
Arthur B M Webb m Jun qtr 1971 Dorothy R Lander Warley RD
Volume Number:   9d
Page Number:   724

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 24 September 20 10:55 BST (UK) »
@avm228, No, I sent off for the 1955 Weston death certificate for Raymond C. Webb. To see who informed of the death and if it gives a clearer birth date.
Cawlbeck, Colbeck, Colbrook, Colebeck, Colebrook, Colebrooke, Coulbeck, Cowlbeck [UK, USA, NZ, Australia, Canada] Hamer [South Yorkshire, UK], Lucas [Cardiff & Gloucestershire, UK] Pennell [UK], Speed [UK], Udall, Udell [UK & USA], Webb [Staffordshire, Dorset, UK], Foot, Foote [Dorset, UK].

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 24 September 20 10:58 BST (UK) »
@Johnhood, yes, that's what I found, I also discovered Nellie Siddons middle name is Musgrove.

Nellie died in 1975 in Birmingham, she was born 18/09/1890 in Walsall, Staffs.

At the moment I'm working on Thomas Henry Webb b.1893 Windsor, Berkshire. He was in the Royal Naval Hospital in Gillingham, Kent in 1911, and I'm trying to find out why. What was happening in 1911 for him to be a patient there.?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 24 September 20 10:59 BST (UK) »
@avm228, No, I sent off for the 1955 Weston death certificate for Raymond C. Webb. To see who informed of the death and if it gives a clearer birth date.

Why are you saying the middle name was Charles then? I am not clear where that has come from,
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)