Author Topic: Napoleonic Wars, maybe slightly earlier  (Read 65 times)

Offline Neon_strobelight

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Napoleonic Wars, maybe slightly earlier
« on: Tuesday 30 April 19 21:13 BST (UK) »
What I'm going to ask may seem a little vague but I thought I'd give it a go.

We have recently found out that there used to be a cache of letters in our family from a Mr Forrest (which is my ancestors surname). A distant relation knows where they were and where they went immediately after his Great Aunt, who had them, died.

He seems to recall that they had a military connection, possibly the Napoleonic Wars, possibly with a Derbyshire linked regiment.

One fragment of the letters does still exist, as an extract was used in a book about Derbyshire customs, written a number of years ago. Although this has nothing to do with the military, the story dates from the 1750s and concerns a naked boys race in the village of Whitwell, Derbyshire. The lady who wrote and compiled the book has long since passed.

Can anyone find anything about a man with the surname Forrest who could read and write with Derbyshire connections, from around the period I've said? I know it's a long shot, but any lead could help.
Forrest, Stubbings, White, Johnson, Lewis, Hemmingray

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.