Author Topic: Ancestry problems (again!!)  (Read 6941 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry problems (again!!)
« Reply #54 on: Monday 13 May 19 08:23 BST (UK) »
I do transcribe Margaret and agree with you that on some sites there are limitations.  Whats better -show as date of 3rd banns or not show at all?

Just wonder whether any other country has a banns system like we do?  Obviously they have baptisms and burials but if the procedure for marriage is different these big foreign companies may not understand what banns are or indeed, that they are different to the actual marriage ceremony.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 13 May 19 08:26 BST (UK) »
Isn't this all drifting away from the original topic?

Maybe it's time to start a topic about the problems of transcribing  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 13 May 19 11:57 BST (UK) »
Coombs, I have explained why it appears as banns rather than marriage - it is what transcribers are told to do. They have no choice in the matter. As far as I remember there were boxes to fill in transcribed information, e.g. name, date etc. The type of record, e.g. Baptism, Banns, Marriage, Burial, was already completed and unchangeable, as was the place of the event.

If you were lucky there was a notes section, where additional information could be added,   but not with the ones I was doing.

That is why on transcriptions you see the bare minimum of information in places like ancestry and Familysearch. At sites like FreeReg, there will often be extra information in notes.

So, in lots of sites, banns will appear as marriages. You just have to accept it and rightly grumble about it, but I don't think it will change, and is not considered an error as such by any of the sites.

Why not give your hand at transcribing some records, everyone? Hard work, and I didn't do it for very long, but it does give insights into how things are done.

Regards Margaret

I know you have explained it by now, I do not need you to say that you have explained it. I am just saying it is still not right, and is very misleading. Anyway I have not come on here for a slanging match.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 13 May 19 16:10 BST (UK) »
As far as I can see, no-one is blaming the transcribers for anything.  It's the websites, whether free or paid, who should get their act(s) together and set up a separate category for banns in my opinion.

This is not 'nit-picking' as was alleged earlier - rather an offensive comment, I thought.  Banns and marriages are obviously not the same thing.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 00:40 BST (UK) »
Without going further off topic (apologies Gadget), this is why I no konger transcribe for familysearch. I discovered that they onsell the records as well putting them up on their own site. I refuse to assist these companies that then charge people to look at them.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 13:28 BST (UK) »
Without going further off topic (apologies Gadget), this is why I no konger transcribe for familysearch. I discovered that they onsell the records as well putting them up on their own site. I refuse to assist these companies that then charge people to look at them.

It was always the case that records transcribed by the LDS and then passed on should be available free of charge on these pay sites ie 1881 census.   Is that not still true  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 21:33 BST (UK) »
In regards to the original poster, yes I am still getting endless error messages. It is very vexing and has been going on for too long now. We may moan and groan but it makes us feel better. There is the saying "mustn't grumble" but in Ancestry's case then must. It is like paying for broadband in a hotel and the service is very patchy. If so then it is not a facility.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 22:25 BST (UK) »
Totally agree Coombs.
I think what is the most frustrating though is their constant denial of any problems.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 16 May 19 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

As the originator of the post, I thank you all for your comments / concerns / moans. I totally agree with the comments made that some (thankfully not all) subscription sites ignore our comments / complaints by trying to tell us (the subscription payers who fund their site) that we don't know what we are doing / using the incorrect web browser etc. I have to say that if we had that sort of response from a high street retailer we would take our custom elsewhere and the retailer would soon see their problem(s) and rectify them. Sadly, Ancestry do not see the problems / errors as being theirs but ours!! Seriously thinking about not renewing my subscription in October.

Allan