Author Topic: Ancestry problems (again!!)  (Read 6943 times)

Offline UK4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry problems (again!!)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 03 May 19 00:48 BST (UK) »
Glad I found this thread.  The other day I noticed each ancestor's sex was "unknown" when I was in the Profile mode but is was correctly given when looking at the whole tree.  Ancestry would not accept any corrections so I just figured something was afoot and not to worry.

:)
Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 May 19 07:52 BST (UK) »
I do wonder just how many staff they have in the background. Obviously they need scanners and transcribers and IT personnel and all the other people who make the information appear on our screens. 

But if you have a problem it is an "experienced user" who answers your question. I wonder if they have any customer service people at all? 

Regards 

Chas
They don't have scanners and transcribers. The bulk of their work is done by organizations like the LDS with its volunteer transcribing. That's why we get some bad transcriptions; volunteers with the best of intentions out of their depth with poor images or early records they are unable to read.
As for their so called maintenance, there has been no difference to me before during or after.
I still can't find record sets in the catalog, even some records disappear when i go back to the search from looking at the image. But most annoying is to suddenly find myself on the US version.
They are in denial about it all.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 03 May 19 08:20 BST (UK) »
I've been getting the same issue with searches as described  here.  Also, when accessing my own tree on Ancestry I frequently get a message saying "this page does not exist".

Then there's the overall poor design features such as constantly giving "all collections" even when I have selected "UK and Ireland".

Transciption wise my current bugbear is that a whole selection of Scottish records  have been attributed to completely the wrong side of the country, randomly.  They come from records that are not that old and therefoe typed so handwriting is not an issue. I have seen the originals so know they are not only correct but very clear where they refer to.  When I e-mailed and then called (no reply after 6 weeks) I was told I just didn't understand Scottish geography. When I pointed out that I was calling from the location in question I was told I had to understand that boundaries changed over the years.  Customer service is awful, I know "the customer is always right" is a flawed mantra but "the customer is always wrong no matter what" is very flawed.

Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 03 May 19 12:59 BST (UK) »
I keep getting the "We're sorry this page is unavailable right now". The "We're sorry" is a bit patronising as I doubt very much they are sorry. The site is now a shambles.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 03 May 19 13:12 BST (UK) »
It was forseeable.... that the mess they created was not controllable at the cost they were prepared to pay..

I for one am totally fed up .. of the amount of times.. I cannot access a census return under the correct persons name .. it comes up like 'Jack flash' on FindMyPast ... but I cannot get the darn thing on Ancestry  I need it to actually attach the correct census from Ancestry itself to add to the sources.. but I still download from FindMyPast to ensure a decent legible copy..

dipping in here and dipping in there to actually make sense  of the research I am doing is not good for this already 'addled' brain.

THEN
WDYTYA comes on TV (american version!!!)  and its all put down in front of them as if it is a 'click' of a button.. fgs..

okay moan over for today :)

xin

AS A BY THE WAY ---

anyone with any sense will download the GEDS they have on ~Anc~ to ensure safekeeping for the day of the 'crash' -- doom and gloom maybe  OR forward thinking..

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 03 May 19 15:43 BST (UK) »
One good thing has come about, at least.

Today I have my old home page back, with My Shoebox, What's Happening at Ancestry, My Quick Links and Recent Member Connect Activity. It wasn't there this morning.

This has been unavailable for several months now, I didn't go to the trouble of adding quick links for them to disappear overnight.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 03 May 19 16:14 BST (UK) »

AS A BY THE WAY ---

anyone with any sense will download the GEDS they have on ~Anc~ to ensure safekeeping for the day of the 'crash' -- doom and gloom maybe  OR forward thinking..

That scared the life out of me when I saw that  :o But it view of recent events yes a wise precaution. I have now exported the Gedcoms so thanks for the suggestion  :)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 May 19 16:42 BST (UK) »
I've always kept my 'real' trees on my computer (using Family Historian), with backup copies. Ancestry just has a pared down version of my direct line that I only put up after I did my DNA test.

I wouldn't dream of just having a tree on Ancestry - that would be folly indeed!

Gadget 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 May 19 18:10 BST (UK) »
I've always kept my 'real' trees on my computer (using Family Historian), with backup copies. Ancestry just has a pared down version of my direct line that I only put up after I did my DNA test.

I wouldn't dream of just having a tree on Ancestry - that would be folly indeed!

Gadget

Yes I agree, but that said there was a time I just had my tree on my computer and my computer gave up the ghost. Arghhhhhhhhh !!!!! Fortunately I did have a backup copy but a little out of date and it took a while to bring it up to date.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.