Author Topic: Ancestry problems (again!!)  (Read 6936 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry problems (again!!)
« Reply #27 on: Friday 03 May 19 18:40 BST (UK) »
David ~

The lovely thing about Family Historian is that whenever you exit after making changes, it asks if you want to save a backup  :)

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 03 May 19 18:54 BST (UK) »
I've always kept my 'real' trees on my computer (using Family Historian), with backup copies. Ancestry just has a pared down version of my direct line that I only put up after I did my DNA test.

I wouldn't dream of just having a tree on Ancestry - that would be folly indeed!

Gadget

Yes I agree, but that said there was a time I just had my tree on my computer and my computer gave up the ghost. Arghhhhhhhhh !!!!! Fortunately I did have a backup copy but a little out of date and it took a while to bring it up to date.

I work mostly on my tablet these days, so my Ancestry tree is usually more up to date than my family tree programme, but if I find out something about direct ancestors I do make copies elsewhere than Ancestry.

When I do go on my laptop, I make sure to sync my Ancestry tree with Roots Magic, saves all attached records and images for even my more remote connections.  This on the free version, as I don't use Roots Magic for anything else.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 03 May 19 19:05 BST (UK) »
I had, how shall I put it, an issue that meant I lost my computer and external hard drive.  That's why I am glad I have an online copy of my tree. I'm a belt and braces kind of girl.  it also meant originally that my now ex couldn't delete it.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 03 May 19 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Roots Chatters

Re Ancestry problems: I am finding some weird stuff going on when I search the Public Member Trees. 
The stated number of results returned is less than the results actually returned.

For example a broad search for Simon Newlove b. Yorkshire England with no dates mentioned, states that 14 records have been found whereas the actual number is 33 records. I have noticed this occurring over the last few weeks. 

However today with my Newlove search I realized that my Tree name only came up twice in the results. On checking my tree, there are seven records for Simon Newloves that have not been returned in the search.

Has anyone else noticed this mismatch between stated and actual results on a search or records not being returned at all?  I get the same results accessing via the UK or CA sites.

Venelow
Canada

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 04 May 19 03:13 BST (UK) »
When accessing Ancestry on my phone, I struggle to get what I put in the search parameters in any record set.
As an example last night (my time) I put a surname and a parish into London Baptisms Marriages and Burials and got no hits. Having looked at some of this name already I know there should have been.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 04 May 19 07:56 BST (UK) »
I had, how shall I put it, an issue that meant I lost my computer and external hard drive.  That's why I am glad I have an online copy of my tree. I'm a belt and braces kind of girl.  it also meant originally that my now ex couldn't delete it.

There's a lesson here for everyone. BACK UP YOUR RESEARCH!
There's a thread here: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=742752.0

I rang Ancestry on Wednesday morning as soon as their lines opened at 0900 BST (not 0900 GMT as they claim).

The fault had been evident for over an hour by then, but the chap on the helpdesk was still unaware of it. In his defence he had probably only just started his shift, and it sounded as though a colleague in the same room already knew.

I commiserated with the man as he was about to get a whole morning of calls about the same problem.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 04 May 19 21:09 BST (UK) »
While browsing Anc I sometimes keep getting asked to sign in and/or create a free account when I have had a yearly sub since 2006 and I stay logged in.  >:(

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 04 May 19 21:52 BST (UK) »
There have been problems with Ancestry lately as they have been updating - they did issue a warning on their page and on Facebook. I'm an Admin of quite a large genealogy group on Facebook and we always advise people (as do Ancestry) to log off, clear cookies and log on again. This usually fixes any problems. Failing that contact Ancestry who are very helpful. It also seems that Ancestry's preferred browser is Chrome, I use that and have never had any problems.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 05 May 19 15:16 BST (UK) »
Let's try and be a little forgiving, Chatters.  Ancestry is a huge site and there are bound to be problems occasionally, especially when they have to update it.  It's annoying when you only have an hour and you have this amazing lead just to be given a load of error messages but I do try to be charitable (all the while cursing under my breath!).  I am sure the staff who have to work on it get just as frustrated at times!

With regard to the Public Trees and the mismatch in numbers, venelow, I wondered if some of the owners of these trees had moved them into 'Private' since the last 'count'.  I'm not sure how it works but that's the reason I've given myself!  ???
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee