Author Topic: RAF service record 1918-1936 - help appreciated for identifying aircraft flown  (Read 316 times)

Offline SteveKNS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RAF service record 1918-1936 - help appreciated for identifying aircraft flown
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 17:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Paul - I tried the Maidenhead ATA museum but they couldn't find anything. They said that quite a few officers' records are missing, unfortunately.

I hadn't checked the Flight Global archives, so thanks for the tip - will check that now.
Rhodes, Laycock, Dennant, Maturin, Denson, Johnston

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline SteveKNS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RAF service record 1918-1936 - help appreciated for identifying aircraft flown
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 20:37 BST (UK) »
I think I had the wrong Wikipedia link for the third aircraft in the list (DH9A) - this is probably the Airco DH9A: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airco_DH.9A

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 May 19 19:10 BST (UK) »
Have you considered the ACR(xx) may refer to the year of pilot certification.   It seems to fit quite well with the chronology of the stated aircraft introductions.

Offline SteveKNS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 May 19 20:31 BST (UK) »
You might be on to something there, so thanks for that. I've just checked the service record again and found a couple of other places where ACR codes are used - see attachments.

The first attachment shows the education and qualifications, with his former occupation of motor car designing being assigned an ACR123 (or possibly ACR/23) code. He worked as a motor car designer from 1906 to 1914/15, so I can't see how that relates to the time period unless he didn't receive recognition for that until 1923.

The second attachment is an extract from his medical board notes; I've omitted the medical condition, but you can see the board dates, classification and remarks - the latter has ACR references i.e. ACR 1925, ACR 1926-1934 and ACR 1935 and these correspond with the dates of the medical conditions.

I've searched for the ACR acronym but haven't found anything definite. The closest was "Appointments, Commissions & Rewards" that I found on a Canadian air force website.